Please sign in to post.

what to pack

What to we need to pack (or not to pack) for 16 days in May in Italy? We are on a bus tour starting in Milan May 9 and getting to Rome May 20. Any suggestions? Should we bring dresses or skirts? Thanks, Patricia

Posted by
223 posts

I have been there twice that time of year and both times I was surprised by how warm it was. I think a light rain jacket is always a good idea still. I backpack there so I always go on the light side you may not have to worry about that as much. Personally I dont stress the packing too much and try to spend the time reading up to try and put some context into what I will be seeing.

(Go Blazers!)

Posted by
251 posts

Yes, I would recommend taking a light jacket that can double as a rain jacket and some sort or long sleeved shirt/sweater/whatever just in case. I've been in Italy in May twice, the first time it was plenty warm for short sleeves, the second time it was surprisingly chilly and 1 jacket wasn't enough for me (and I usually don't get cold too easily..). But a jacket and a long sleeved item should be enough just in case; if all goes well you won't need to use either (which in this case is a good thing). Otherwise just pack the essentials you will need to use: a few shirts, pants, undergarments, socks, ideally one pair of shoes (maybe some sandals as well), toiletries, a guidebook, a camera, your passport (with copies)/documents/reservation confirmations/whatever else you might need. How much you pack just depends on how often you want to do laundry (pack some of those travel Tide detergents if you want to do laundry in the sink, which saves time and money). But, just be sure that whatever you pack it can all fit into one carryon bag that you can carry around town without any trouble. That is key. Just try to pack what you know you WILL NEED vs. something YOU MIGHT NEED AND ARE PACKING 'JUST IN CASE.' This is where the unnecessary bulk is usually added. You can always buy medicine, clothing, toiletries, etc. over there in a pinch. It won't be hard to find. The language barrier can easily be broken. So, just keep it light; the lighter it is the easier it will be on you. But enjoy your travels!

(Go Hawks!)

Posted by
251 posts

But keep in mind, just let your long sleeved shirt and your jacket be your only 'just in case' items, b/c they may be essential depending on the weather... haha, yes you may need those..

Posted by
10344 posts

IMO Rick's packing checklist has too many items in it, at least for half of all travelers.

This is all you need:Helpline Guy's Packing List:aloha shirt, 1cargo shorts, 1shoes, white Nikes (wear 'em on the plane, you only need 1 pair for the whole trip)underwear, 1 (ok, 2)"Go __" t-shirt (insert sports team of preference), 1"Go __" ball cap, 1socks, 1 pairRick Steves guidebooks, complete set, 26 booksIf the Rick books won't fit into your carry-on, the socks are optionalGuys, you're done!

Posted by
9110 posts

Uh, does the fill in the blank word on the shirt have to be the same as the one on the hat -- to be sartorially correct and all?

Posted by
10344 posts

"does the fill in the blank word on the shirt have to be the same as the one on the hat?"

(Excellent question). And the answer is...

No, this is left to the judgment of the individual traveler. The person wearing the outfit described is (doesn't it go without saying) an individual to whom sartorial discretion comes naturally--any decision they may make on this fine point of sartorial splendor will, undoubtedly, suit the occasion.

Posted by
1883 posts

All the above got misdirected about jackets, you asked specifically about a skirt/dress. Here are my thoughts: You might bring one skirt, or maybe one summery dress, but not more, and not both. I started to bring one skirt on the last few trips. It was a nice break from my pants for going out to dinner. I even wore my linen skirt one day while touring around, it was nice and cool compared to my capri pants. One thing I don't wear is shorts - unless I'm in a beach town that very casual.

I like a skirt because I can use different tops with it to make it look like a different outfit..a dress is always the same.

Last few times we were in Italy in May it was very hot!

Posted by
9423 posts

Loved Kent's post! And Ellen's post is really good advice. I wanted to suggest capri pants, rather than long pants. You'll see lots of Italians wearing capri's, they're more fashionable and they are cooler than long pants (I think the weather will be warm).

Posted by
891 posts

Ellen has some great suggestions.

I prefer 1 skirt instead of a dress. If you bring 1 skirt, pants & capris every top should go with all of the bottoms.
I work with black & tan bottoms. It gives you a good choice of what color tops to bring. The fewer the better if you're going to do the carry on only. You will be glad you did carryon after you're there.In most cases, the bus will probably not be able to get you to the front door of the hotel, carry on will feel real good!

I think it's Purex that makes the laundry sheets that you put directly into the washer & dryer instead of detergent & softener. The sheets are easier to carry than liquid containers. I used them last trip to do sink wash on almost everything & it worked great on a 3 week trip. The dryers we found in laundromats on the 1st trip got so hot I didn't want to put my clothes in them.

The pharmacies in Italy are great, you can buy cold meds & things like that. we've bought amoxocillin from the pharmacist for an ear infection. Always take RX your meds in carryon, but the pharmacist there can sett antibiotics without RX.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
1825 posts

I always pack a skirt in my carry-on. It coordinates with my capris and gives me more outfits. Another plus is skirts usually don't have to be washed as often. I don't go the dark skirt route though. A couple years ago I got a fuschia crinkle cotton skirt that I take along. It actually goes with many of my tops and having something bright and fun helps break up the boredom when you are trying to pack light.

Posted by
32214 posts

pat,

Although May will probably be fairly warm at that time of year (especially as you head south), be sure to pack some kind of light rain gear.

I use Tilley clothing extensively when I travel, and they've got a good selection of "mix & match" items. Check their website for details or you could also have a look at McAllister & Howard on Victoria Street, or Wholesale Sports on Notre Dame Drive in Kamlooops. They may only have a limited selection, but you may be able to have a look at some of the products.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1 posts

Pat,
I was in Italy two years ago in May, It was very hot, from lake como to Rome. My husband and I backpaced using Rick Steve's packs. A skirt is so much more pratical than a dress, however, I did buy 2 thin cotton dresses while in Italy and wore them quite a bit. But the long sleeve jersey dress that I packed,was too warm to wear more than once. A waste of precious space. Here's my packing list..
1 pair jeans, with 1% lycra, so they don't lose their shape with multiple wearings. 1 Pair stove pipe light cotton/lycra trousers , 1 pair cords (they were overkill) 1 jersey dress, 1 fitted white T from bannanna republic, cause they never loose their shape or look sloppy, a navy v-neck t, one beige turtleneck, one white cotton blouse, a brown long sleeved t,a light silk thin blouse, a light blazer/jacket,a thin gauge silk and cashmere green cardigan, a long linnen scarf (wish I brought more) a rain parka, 2 pair micro fiber pantys,2 bra's, 3 Pairs socks, a thin silk night dress,a messengers cap, tabacco brown walking shoes. I needed and ended up buying- a thin cotton breezy tank, and sandals. For the toiletries: bareminerals,a tube of cocobutter for moisturizer,mascara,eyeliner,small eyeshadow compact, lip gloss,contacts,travel size contact solution,glasses,lavendar escential oil,travel size blowdryer,small brush,mini compact mirror,travel toothbrush & paste,travel size wrinkle remover spray,travel size laundry detergent,tide to go stick, a washcloth, sleep mask & earplugs. My friends & I love fashion and I'm not the natural ungroomed sort. (but more power to those who are!) I was the only lady backpacking in our group and LOVED it! I also didd'nt miss a flight, ONLY, beacuse I had no luggage to check in. I found out it is possible to be well groomed and still travel light!

Posted by
12172 posts

Here's my visual pack list:

http://www.polyvore.com/mens_travel_pack_list/set?id=1440268

Hopefully it will give you some ideas. It is intended for May and September travel north of the Alps. For your trip you can plan for warmer weather (but don't ditch the rain shell).

Generally, the key to packing light is for each item to be lightweight and have maximum flexibility. A polyester skirt in a dark color packs easily and can be dressed up or down depending on what you wear with it.

Capris are great for travel.

The right pair of sandals can be worn very casually or for dressing nicely for dinner - add another pair of shoes for long days of walking on cobblestones and you're set.

Posted by
769 posts

Layers of course - but a light water/windproof shell is a must. Either with a sweater or get a lined one and use it for both. Exofficio, Mountain Hardwear and Icebreaker Merino is what I take! Columbia or Nothface has great travel casual for Men/Women too. I like their pants. Scottevest is good too.