Please sign in to post.

Venice itinerary

I'll be in Venice the end of next week and it looks a bit cold. I will be visiting St. Mark's Basilica but not sure what else as I only have 2 days. Is it worth heading out to Murano & Berano?
Thank you!

Posted by
1825 posts

Ardith, the best part of Venice is just wandering through the back streets. Get lost, stop for 'un cafe', stop again for a glass of wine, do a little shopping in small stores, go into that church that looks interesting (lots of art in Italy is in the churches), wander through the Rialto market in early morning, walk the Zatterre at sunset.

Posted by
36 posts

Thanks to everyone for all the advice!

Posted by
3313 posts

Be sure to complete your afternoon by going to a series of cichetti bars - Rick's Venetian pub crawl. It's a great way to enjoy Venetian food and wine at very reasonable prices - have you ever tried strawberries with crab? And the atmosphere of the places is great.

Posted by
3 posts

I agree with the posting about taking in the cichetti bars - Rick's Venetian pub crawl-we actually contacted the guide Rick posted in his book and he took us on the pub crawl himself-it was really wonderful and it was so nice to talk to a native Venetian who knew their way around.

Posted by
15589 posts

Be sure to time your visit to the Basilica to be there between 11.30 am and 12.30 pm. That's when the mosaics are floodlit. It is worth the time to visit the museum: first, it will get you to the balconies overlooking the inside of the Basilica and the Piazza, second, you will get a closer look at some of the mosaics, and third, the museum collection is interesting too.

Skip the islands.

I loved Rick's audio tours of Venice. Buy a vaporetto pass, wangle your way to a front seat and listen to Rick and enjoy the scenery, once during the day, and once at night.