Please sign in to post.

itenerary

My hubby and I are planning our first trip to Italy this June. We only have about 10 days, and we're starting from scratch. I would really like to avoid a bus tour if possible. Any itinerary suggestions or other advice???? I'm a bit clueless. I read Europe Through the Back Door, and I just purchased Rick's Italy book. I'm most concerned about getting from city to city and around within each city.

Posted by
23562 posts

It is hard for us with the limited response space to plan you whole trip especially since no one know what you like to see and do. Getting from city to city is cheap and easy with the railroads. And once inside the city you have extensive public transportation system that are cheap and easy to us. Read the guidebooks, decided what YOU would like to see and do and then come back with specific questions. That is easier for everyone.

Posted by
306 posts

Frank is being a grump ignore him.

Here are the things I would suggest. First fly open jaw, that is in and out of different cities. For example arrive in Venice depart from Rome. It is an efficient use of your time so you can maximize your travel time. It may be more expensive (although sometimes it is may be cheaper) but well worth it.

Second, for first timers Rome and Florence are a must.

If I only had 10 days I would arrive in Milan and go directly to Cinque Terre. I would spend two nights in CT and then head off to Venice for two nights. Next Florence for two nights and then end my trip in Rome.

Others on here will tell you that 10 days is not much time to do too much exploring and to limit yourself to 2 to 3 places. That is also an option it really depends on how much moving around you want to do. I like moving around and seeing as much as possible.

There is no need for a bus tour, 10 days is plenty of time to see some amazing cities and towns. Trains will get you everywhere you need to go and for the few places where train is not a good option a bus will take you there. Read Ricks Steves Italy a few times over and you'll be fine.

Posted by
30 posts

Thank you very much for your reply, Scott. I think Frank doesn't have much patience for us newbies.