Please sign in to post.

pizza in rome

hi, i'll be in rome in april...........where's the best pizza? any feedback is appreciated. thanks.

Posted by
212 posts

Try Pizza Europa on Via Merulana one block from the Santa Maria Maggiore church. When you walk in you will see hundreds of pictures on the walls of the owner with Italian and foreign celebrities, on TV, in the newspapers, you name it. It's pizza by the slice, so an inexpensive and fast sit down or standup meal, as you prefer :)

Posted by
10 posts

There are great restaurants with great pizza all over the city, but we found that some of the best was sold in hole-in-the-wall pizzerias (very cheaply) by the pound! Great for lunch or snacks!

Posted by
11 posts

thnx for the suggestion/info. i'll def. try it. what about thick-crust pizza? is there any in rome?

Posted by
632 posts

Thick crust pizza (with loads of cheese and meat) is an American invention....Italian thick crust is really foccacia, and it is normally very simple with a little olive oil, garlic maybe some olives and a little basil or italian parsley

Posted by
7566 posts

You can get good pizza nearly anywhere. The classic pie is a thin crust with sparse toppings, but for thicker crust, go for the foccacia crust. It is usually sold in bakeries, ready made, sold by the pound, they will toss it in the oven for a quick heat up.

As for the classic places to go, do some searches, but some that will come up:

Da Baffeto, and the place run by his daughter, La Montecarlo. A slew of places in the Trastevere, includinf Dar Poeta, Da Ivo, Popi Popi, and Al Marni.

Posted by
2788 posts

As PM BILL said, Italian pizza is very thin crust with little on top. As a thick crust pizza with the works addict, I was greatly disappointed. But, as Rick says, act and live like a local. So I waited until I got home to have any more pizza. Good luck

Posted by
1170 posts

Da Francesco (woodfired), Piazza del Fico just a few blocks west of Piazza Navona. A little hard to find, but a great neighborhood.