Please sign in to post.

Just Curious...

With all the concerns about having your pocket picked, how does one go about discreetly taking money from an ATM and putting it into one's money belt? Not having been to Italy yet, I'm curious about how their ATMs are situated--in a bank, enclosed but outside of the bank lobby???

Posted by
9110 posts

Most are on the sreet. Stuff the wad in your pocket and make redistribution in a restroom. Or, if you're a pauper like me, don't draw out more at a time than you can afford to loose.

Posted by
23297 posts

First, there is NOT a pickpocket every two feet or even three. Most ATMs are located in busy areas and some are enclosed. If you have a traveling partner which most people do, the partner covers your backside while making the withdraw. The ATMs are just like the US machine. The money comes out in a bunch, I quickly count for accuracy, and stuff in a pocket, grab the receipt, and walking quickly away. Sometime later find a remote spot to redistribute the cash between us and, if wanting to put in a money belt, find a restroom. It is easy to do.

Posted by
3313 posts

ATMs are everywhere. Pickpockets aren't.

Pickpockets congregate where there are crowds - train stations, big tourist attractions, etc. A few blocks away things are quiet and you'll find plenty of ATMs.

Posted by
891 posts

My hubby takes the money out & I cover his backside. If no one else is waiting for the atm he slips his shirt up a bit and sticks most of the money into the moneybelt. it's inside his pants with the shirt tucked in over it. No way can anyone get to it without him knowing. It has always seemed safer than putting into a pocket & waiting to find a restroom.

The majority of atms we have seen are outside.

Posted by
934 posts

If possible I try to use a machine that is inside a bank(in the outerlobby).If locked just wait until someone exits.Even after bank hours regular customers can enter using their cards to open door. If I cant find one inside I use the street one.Put the money my in pocket and look for place to transfer to moneybelt.I also use a neckpouch which is much easier to put the money into.

Posted by
7737 posts

This is why I use a neckpouch instead of a belt. It's easier access.

Posted by
1317 posts

I do same as Michael and Jack. I prefer the neckpouch, so after I make my withdrawal, I turn to shield as much of my body from view as possible and stuff the money into the neckpouch, then drop it back down under my shirt. I've even used this technique when necessary in stores (though I try to have enough spending cash in a more accessible location). When traveling with my dad, I guarded his back while he did the transaction, and then stuffed the money into his belt. I don't think we ever used an ATM inside a bank and never had any problems.

Posted by
1633 posts

As others have noted, at the ATM, store or restaurant, I deposit or take money out of my money belt right then and there. It's safest there instead of my pocket.

Posted by
114 posts

This is one of the reasons the travel vest is so nice. I keep my wallet clipped to a sewn-in ring on an inside velcroed pocket. So, while my hubby "stands guard", preferably in one of the inside ATMs, I pop out the wallet and stuff in the cash and back into the safe inner pocket it goes. Zip up the coat and away you go.

Getting the cash and just stuffing it into a pocket to deal with later sounds like trouble to me.