Please sign in to post.

travel insurance??

We are going to Italy for 11 days at the end of April. It travel insurance necessary? Is the health insurance included in the travel insurance adequate? Thanks

Posted by
240 posts

You can check with your insurance carrier..and they will tell you if you are covered outside the US and how to go about getting assistance. Usually you pay out of pocket, and they will reimburse you when you get back. I have never purchased travel insurance. I have been to both Italy and Spain for a month each time, and never had any medical issues.

Posted by
934 posts

I believe that in order to purchase insurance some require that you do it within 10days of your initial payment.I dont know if all require this.I mostly get the insurance for the medical evacuation as that would be very expensive if needed.

Posted by
66 posts

In Canada you can buy cancellation insurance; health insurance or both combined. I take health insurance only with an 800# North America or call collect from Europe to get authorization and they'll authorized payment so you're not out of pocket at that time. If you don't have out of country insurance and you require medical assistance etc. it can cost you thousands. I can get out of Country on a yearly basis for up to 16 days for $71 per year for ages 30-59; from 60-64 it's $78 but after 60 you have to fill out a medical form and if you have some problems it will cost you approx. $30 + more depending on the severity of your problems. And like me for example in going to Italy for 25 days this year I have to up it for that extended 10 days.
Jean

Posted by
66 posts

Canadian Insurance only requires that you purchase medical insurance anytime prior to departure. If you are over 60 you are required to fill out a medical questionnaire.

Posted by
1449 posts

Its not clear if by "necessary" you mean required by law, or a good idea. It isn't a legal requirement, but it is a good idea in many people's mind. The main point of coverage to me isn't so much the trip interruption or cancellation benefits, but the health coverage. Not only is medical care expensive, but a medical evacuation to the States can run $50K or more. You can shop on a couple of web sites for trip insurance, and they'll tell you what the health coverage is.

Posted by
881 posts

It's a good idea Micki. Not only does it usually cover emergency medical expenses, but also emergency travel/medical evacuation, which most insurance companies don't cover and can cost tens of thousands.

Plus you get bag loss coverage, delay coverage, etc = peace of mind.