Please sign in to post.

Taormina

Returning to Taormina first time since 1998, and then only for a day. Eager to return and stay put for 3-4 days. I'm a young, active and fit grandmother, Sicilian-American, speak Italian enough to get around. Traveling solo in mid-May, looking for an economical, but nice B&B right in Taormina. Also checking TripAdvisor, but I trust Rick Steves advocates. Recommendations, please?

Also, does anyone know from first-hand experience how I can get to Taormina BY BUS SERVICE from Catania centro? I'll be staying in a nice hotel on via Platamone. Thanks!
JERSEY.PEG

Posted by
30 posts

Hi Peg,

We stayed @ the Hotel La Pensione 5 years ago, It was a very nice hotel/ B&B and a very good value @ $90. a night. It's well located about 2 blocks from the center of town. Their website is: www.pensionesvizzera.com
We flew into Catania, .... the hotel arranged a driver to pick us up, I think it was a little pricy, but arriving @ night , it was the best way to go. We loved
Taormina, I understand why you're returning. Good thing you speak Italian, because most of the ticket people don't speak English. Happy Travels.

Posted by
8293 posts

Peg, there are buses to Taomorina (and elsewhere) from the Catania airport, but I can't seem to find any that start at centro. For accommodation, we stayed at Hotel Elios on via Bagnoli Croci.

Posted by
70 posts

We took a bus from Taormina to the Catania airport-not sure if they make any other stops in Catania. Try the Villa Nettuno in Taormina-it is a nice, clean pensione with many terraces and a lovely garden where you have a continental breakfast. Villa Nettuno is very close to the center of town and near the funicular that goes down to the beaches. hotelvillanettuno.it

Posted by
5 posts

Stayed 3 nights at B&B Agon. This B&B is not directly in Taormina, but near the sea, across from the train station. It is clean, bright, the price is right and the owner is very helpful.
Another choice is Joan's Heritage in the center of Taormina. Probably a better choice without a car.

Posted by
2176 posts

The site www.interbus.it shows plenty of daily buses from Catania to Taormina. The bus station is near the train station, not exactly in "centro," but not too far. We (age 60) walked there from our centrally located hotel wearing our backpack suitcases. However, it is a free-for-all, a HUGE parking lot with many, many buses, and it can sometimes be difficult to find your particular bus. The one to Taormina might be a little more easily found than some to the smaller places. But it actually might be easier to take the Alibus to the Catania airport and go to Taormina from there! Have fun.

Posted by
1825 posts

I stayed at Hotel Continental last Sept pre RS tour. The hotel was nice and the staff friendly. Their terrace has a fabulous view of the sea and Mt Etna. I flew in to Catania airport and splurged by having the hotel send a car and driver for me. It was a wonderful start to my vacation.