Please sign in to post.

Train questions

I have two questions about trains travel.

First, we are thinking of taking the overnight train from Rome (tribuna) to Venice. it leaves around 10:30 and gets in at 5:30am. Is this a good way to "gain" an extra day, or will we get no sleep on the train and ruin our first day in Venice? I know this is a subjective question, but I don't sleep on planes and I'm wondering if the train will be better.

Posted by
5 posts

Second question, since we would be chekcing out of our hotel in Rome early in the morning, can we secure our bags in the train station (tribuna) so that we don't have to hall them around everywhere? I thought about leaving them at the hotel, but it is not near the station and I don't want to go back to pick up my bags.

We may be spending a day in Balonga as well, do they have a bag check in that station?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted by
306 posts

The eurostar takes between 3.5 to 3.75 hours to venice. You can catch a train as early as 06:45 (according to trenitalia.com) which will put you in venice before 10:30. If you can't sleep on a plane you will not be able to sleep on a train. I think you will be happier sleeping in rome and taking an early eurostar train.

Posted by
32222 posts

Karl,

I wouldn't suggest taking a night train on that route, as it's a relatively short trip via EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita (as mentioned in the previous reply). IMO, that would actually be a waste of time, and would add the need to store luggage and travel to Roma Tiburtina (I assume that's the station you're referrring to?).

Cheers!

Posted by
1170 posts

It's such a short trip, better to take the day train and see the countryside as you go. You are more likely to have your luggage stolen on the night train as you will be asleep? and not looking after it. You won't get much sleep anyway as the train will be stopping and starting several times along the way.