Please sign in to post.

Eating in Rome

I am looking for a few good places to eat in Rome

Posted by
32212 posts

Fred,

It's a bit difficult to suggest places to eat, as definitions of "good" tends to vary somewhat among travellers.

I've found on numerous occasions that asking the Hotel staff for recommendations of good restaurants often leads me to some great local places that are perhaps undiscovered by most tourists.

If you'll be travelling with either the Rome or Italy Guidebooks, there are numerous listings in both books for good restaurants in Rome.

Cheers!

Posted by
28 posts

These are a few places I enjoy when in Rome. l'archetto on Via dell'Archetto, 26 tel. 06 67 89 064. House wine is great and the prices and pasta are fantastic! It is about 4-5 blocks from the Trevi fountain, on an alley street. Also can highly recommend San Crispino that is recommended by Rick in his Rome book as the best gelato hands down! IMO

Great pizza for lunch near the Pantheon is Barroc Ristorante, it is around the corner from the Pantheon. Not sure the street, believe it is Via Rosetta number 13.

I always skip the ones that have the waiters beckoning you to come in, the one time we did, it was pricey, and not very tasty.

Have fun, Rome is a great place to visit and the food is wonderful.

Posted by
1018 posts

Your post is vague and not very accurate in terms of expense, location, type, etc. I have been to Italy 12 times and I have never had a bad meal. In Roma you will find small family run places up through the temples of gastronomy.

For the last few years we've eaten at Ristorante Target on Via Tornino, which is listed in the RS guide to Italy and it is outstanding. They make an antipasto on arugula with breasola stuffed with robiola cheese, orange sections, and a citrus dressing. The pasta dishes are also very good.

If you wander onto some side streets you will find local spots, and if they are crowded, go in and eat. Keep in mind that Italians eat dinner later than Americans usually eat.

For lunch we generally stop at a pizzeria for a slice or 2 and walk around eating. You can also stop at a butcher store or deli and have them make sandwiches.

Bon viaggio,

RB

Posted by
3250 posts

We've had several good meals at Cul de Sac located on Piazza Pasquino a block from Piazza Navona. It's basic Italian food, including good salads and a great wine list. It's not fancy--just good food at a reasonable price!

Posted by
2023 posts

Cul-de-sac, Ditirambo, Armando, Pier Luigi--so many to choose from. Never bother with one that waiters are trying to get you inside. We liked Giggetto for the fried artichokes and squash blossoms and the location near ancient ruins (Teatro Marcello) was interesting. Our favorite restaurant in Rome is Perilli on Via Marmorata which would be difficult for the devotees of hotels near Termini--of course a taxi would get you there.

Posted by
430 posts

For an ambience experience...

If the weather is nice (which it often is) eat at the restaurant on the corner of "Via dei Fori Imperial" and "Via Cavour" just 3 minute walk from the Colosseum -- sit outside, order a pizza, and enjoy the view of the Roman Forum while you eat.

(Eating isn't always about the food.... but traveling is almost always about the eating...)

EDIT... I cannot believe I almost forgot... "...and then have a gelato." Whew... I feel better now.

Posted by
15 posts

I walked into random restaurants during my entire time in Rome and never had anything less than an excellent meal. From nicer "sit-down" restaurants, to quick panini or pizza, all were fantastic. Enjoy!

Posted by
7737 posts

The standard RS advice is still good. Don't eat at a restaurant on a main plaza. They're almost always tourist traps. Go around the corner and down the street.

Posted by
3250 posts

Almost forgot to mention Trattoria da Lucia in Trastevere--there are lots of fun places to eat in Trastevere!