Please sign in to post.

Itinerary ideas

My family is travcling to Italy in June and we have 14 nights. We are flying in to Rome and spending 3 nights plus 1 night at the end to fly out. I don't want to just do the major cities and we want to travel by train. These are possible cities: Naples, Florence, Venice, Cinque Terre. I would like to go to Sienna and possibly Orvieto. I know this is too much. Should I skep Florence? What order should we do this in? Do the trains go to all these places and how do I figure out how long it takes to get to each place (first time in Europe).

Posted by
348 posts

Are you probably going back? If you are not sure then fly into Venice for 3 nights then train to CT for 2-3 nights nights and Florence for 4 nights with day trip to Siena, San gimiano and 4 nights Rome. Fly out Rome. If you dont do Venice, then fly into Milan, you could do CT 2-3 nights, Florence and Rome fly out Rome. If you dont go to Como, Then in Milan train down to CT 3 nights then Florence 3 nights, then Siena and Orvieto 3 nights (or Amalfi/Sorrento)then rome 4 nights and out rome

Posted by
1003 posts

Venice to Florence on the eurostar is about 3 hours, then another 90 min to Rome. Florence to Siena is about 1 hour by train or bus (bus is easier). Cinque Terre is the most out of the way city on your trip I would say, and Naples, since it's in the other direction of all the other places. In 14 nights, I did Venice (4), Florence (5), Rome (5) and it was a perfect introduction to Italy. The only day trip I did was to Siena from Florence. Since then (2007) I've already gone back and I've just started formulating yet another trip for 2011 hopefully where I can finally hit Naples. It's good that you know it's too much but I can't in good conscience ignore your thought about skipping Florence. It's just one of the most marvelous places I've ever been lucky enough to lay my eyes on. Personally I'd skip Cinque Terre since I was completely underwhelmed by it. I think it's good for a 2nd trip, but unless you really like the idea of hiking and all that, for me anyway, there is not even a close comparison between Florence and Cinque Terre. If it were me taking my first trip again, I would do over what I did, but since you don't want to just do big cities, I would suggest 3 nights in Venice, the 4 in Rome, 4 in Florence, and then 3 somewhere smaller (or split between two other places) like Siena, Orvieto, Cinque Terre, etc. or the Naples area. IMO, Italy is meant to be seen slowly. You need time for sitting in cafes, getting intentionally lost, etc. And trust us, once you go, you WILL want to go back :) So don't feel badly if you leave out one of your "musts" on the first trip!!