Please sign in to post.

When to buy airline tickets

We want to travel into Milan on March 20 and out of Florence on March 27. When should we buy the airline tickets? Can you book too early and pay more for tickets? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Posted by
3551 posts

Some sales are starting as of last wk. so I would buy soon espec. since you are not flexible with your schedule. Ck British Airways as they are running a sale and also www.kayak.com for comaparisons. gd luck and have fun. Italy in general is a little more costly.

Posted by
187 posts

Hi Melissa,

We just purchased last night for 3/9-3/19 and got, what we thought was a great deal on Expedia. We've been watching the particular flight that we purchased for a couple of weeks. While it wasn't as cheap as it was before Christmas, it just dropped almost 200 dollars, so we were happy to get that savings.

You could sign up for alerts. We also found a travel agent to be helpful. Turns out KLM/Delta were doing computer maintenance this weekend. We would not have known that had we not talked to an agent.

Tripology was fantastic advice for us. I got 3 agents that responded to me in less than an hour with suggestions.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've been watching Expedia and their fares seem OK. I'm always a little nervous about not booking directly through the airline but I think I'm just going to have to get over it! ;-)

The March trip will be our first trip to Italy and it's hard to think of anything except the vacation!

Posted by
348 posts

i would try to book directly too, unless it is significantly different. Try British airways as the previous post indicates they have a sale right now. What airport do you fly out of