Please sign in to post.

Day Tours in Venice

I am going to be traveling to Italy in July 2010. I will be in Venice July 1-3 and would love to do a day tour of Venice. (I will be getting over jet lag and would love something where I can learn alot but it isn't like a college lecture).

Posted by
536 posts

Abi - The very best "tour" you could do from Venice is to grab a "FREE" water taxi ticket from either your Hotel or, any person handing them out in Piazza San Marco and go to Murano and watch the glass-blowing demos - don't be afraid !! They do not FORCE you to go into the showrooms unless you want to and see the products that are for sale. After Murano the ride will take you to Burano , a very picturesque Island, famous for lace and embroidery - and also a nice spot to have lunch at one of the Cafes.
As far as Venice itself - walk anywhere you want to - get lost - don't worry - It's fun!! At each decision point as you walk if you look up at the building you will see - Per Rialto, per San Marco, etc. which helps you get back to where you want to be.

Have Fun!!

Posted by
7737 posts

Abigail, just be advised that some people really don't like those free tours to Murano. Regardless of whether they are a good deal or not, I would avoid them if I were you just because you don't have that much time in Venice and seeing Venice proper should be a higher priority than going to Murano (unless you're REALLY into glass making).

Obviously Greg's opinion is different. That's what makes this site so great - you get different perspectives.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks Greg and Michael, I would like to visit Murano, but time is an issue, and I would like to make St. Marks Square, the Doges Palace, etc. a priority. I just need to find a good tour because I don't want to have to read from a guidebook the entire day. I will be getting over jetlag, so listening to someone bring Venice to life would be great.

Posted by
646 posts

While I did enjoy Murano, I wouldn't consider doing that first before exploring incredible Venice. IMO, Burano was actually nicer. You might want to book the Secret Itineraries Tour at the Doge's Palace. Great tour, interesting facts, not boring at all. San Marco is beautiful. You will be there during major tourist season, so maybe it would be best to go there first thing in the morning. You also might want to use Rick's guide book on Venice for lots of information on great walking tours. Venice is magical. You will not regret your visit.

Posted by
19 posts

Thanks for the advice Camille, I will have to look into the secret itineraries tour.

Posted by
646 posts

BTW - know this does not having anything to do with Venice - but, I love St. Augustine, FL. Will be there in March.

Posted by
3313 posts

Abigail -

Maybe download a podcast from Rick Steves as a guide to Venice? Venice is great for walking, and walking is the best way to get over jet lag.

I'd only suggest going to Murano if you have three days or more. I'd also pay my own way by the vaporetto. The "free" water taxis are paid for by a couple of tourist trap glass factories notorious for high pressure sales tactics. They pay hotels and cruise ship hosts kickbacks for recommending them. Of course the touts will assure you that "there's no pressure to buy anything!!" But why else would they be offering "free" tours to Murano?

And they don't take you to Burano.

Posted by
19 posts

Camille, I love St. Aug too. Weather will be nice in March!
Doug, thanks for the advice, podcasts would be perfect.
In Rick Steves Venice guidebook he mentions a guide named Allesandro Schezinni who is a very good guide but since he is not liscenced cant take you into the actual sites. So I think that i will use the audio tours for the sites and the guide for a good tour! Thanks for everyones input and advice!

Posted by
536 posts

Abi - To set the record - Doug doesn't have a clue what he's talking about vis a vis the water taxis to Murano and Burano. You can get the tickets virtually anywhere in Venice and they cover both Islands AND There is No high pressure anything. HE IS DEAD WRONG!! As he is with a lot of his nasty, inane, and inaccurate comments , making it clear he really knows very little about my home country!!!