Please sign in to post.

travelling to italy

I am interested in visiting Italy this October. Should I rent a villa or condo in Tuscany. I have heard you can use a car to visit sites during the day and stay there at night. We have never been to Italy, would like to check out birthplace of Father and history in Argagento, Sicily while in Italy. Also,would love to take a cruise to Greek Isles from Italy. Would like to spend 10 days in Italy and possibly a seven day on a Greek Isles cruise.Any suggestions, do not need total luxury but would like a nice quality trip for the money. Thanks, JOY

Posted by
417 posts

Well, if you are wanting to go to Sicily, I would not rent a villa in Tuscany. Really, if you are planning on ten days, you could probably do Rome, Naples/ Capri, and then head down to Sicily for a few days. Sicily is quite out of the way to the rest of the country.

Often, Greece is seen as an easy add to Italy, but in fact is much more difficult to do than at first look. I would nix it and spend more time in Italy, probably adding Venice and some small town flavor in Umbra, Tuscany, etc.

Otherwise check out this group, it seems reasonable and pretty nice- but I have no personal experience.

http://www.louiscruises.com/

They have some that go from Italy to Greece.

Posted by
23268 posts

As Mike is pointing out you need a better understanding of the geography of where you are going. A seven day cruise would have to come out of Athens. The are some ten day cruises out of Rome (actually Civitavecchia). And, of course, when you travel long distance you begin to add significantly to the cost of the trip. You might consider something like flying into Rome and home from Athens or even into Sicily to start and then work you way to Rome and northern Italy. I personally would save the Greek Isles for another trip.

Posted by
9110 posts

Greek isles cruises are hard to do unless you leave from Greece, clobbering a seventeen day trip.

Most that leave from Italy hit the west coast of Greece only.

I believe what most people think of as Greek isle cruises are in the areas to the south and east of the mainland.

Posted by
15014 posts

Let me give you some perspective:

Drive from Lake Worth to Key West, then drive back to Lake Worth, then drive back to Key West. That's the distance from Tuscany to Sicily.

Posted by
12172 posts

I took a quick look at vacationstogo.com. 7 night Greek Cruises on that site (for October) start in Venice, Athens or Turkey. I'm sure there are many more options. I've purchased a couple cruises through them that worked out fine.

You could fly into Rome, work your way toward Venice in time for the cruise and fly home from Venice.

I can't offer much of an opinion on using a Tuscan villa as a base. I have friends who have done that and loved it. I tend to move from one spot to another rather than operate from a home base.