Please sign in to post.

insurance on rental cars

What insurance is it necessary to purchase when renting a car in Europe? Also, many credit cards include rental car insurance in the US. Does this extend to Europe? The insurance we carry on our personal vehicles covers rental cars in the US. Does this extend to a rental car in Europe?

Posted by
23329 posts

Those are all very good question that should be asked of the insurance providers. There have been some horror stories posted in the past on this site when the insurance didn't kick in as expected. It can get very complicated when all of the insurance providers are on this side of the ocean and the damage is over there. Personally, I rarely rent but when I do I take all of THEIR insurance. I know it is expensive BUT it is in their hands with their insurance companies who speak their language. I am paying for a certain comfort level.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks. Peace of mind is worth a lot. I have contacted my insurer about this, but I found it difficult to find anyone who knows anything about it.

Posted by
12 posts

It seems that when I checked on the insurance through the credit cards that I was told that they only covered damage to the rental car, that is, no liability, etc. Do you know anything about that?

Posted by
23329 posts

Again this is not a good place for your questions. I was always "told" that credit card insurance was secondary to your car insurance which was primary. My son recently had a bad experience with VISA on a $2000 domestic claim. He lives in Chicago, doesn't own a car, so has no primary car insurance. The rental car had about $2000 damage from a hit and run while the car was parked. Visa denied the claim because of a technical error on the rental agreement. The rental company claimed that was how all rental agreement were made, never told that they had to do something different when other car insurance not available, etc. In the end he and the rental company split it. I would not trust the credit card insurance especially if the claim was large.

Second, make sure that you have everything in writing if relying on representations from the insurance companies. That is critical should you have to file a claim.

Posted by
1201 posts

Mark - You've asked a generic European rental car question, but posted it in the Italy section of the board.

The only reason I mention this is that for most cards Italy is an exemption or special circumstance on the card insurance coverage, if the car is rented or dropped off in Italy. So make double sure about coverage when renting in Italy on your credit card. For example, you might get the coverage if you rented in the UK but would not be covered if the same company rented to you in Italy.

In Italy I don't believe it is possible to waive the basic theft and collision coverage. But we usually also get the super duper zero deductable coverage as well. Makes for excellent peace of mind, knowing you can just walk away without any worries.

Italy can be kind of harsh on vehicles.

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks, Ron. Yes, I realized after I posted it that I was in the Italy or "boot" link. This is my first time to use the site. Thanks for the info.

Posted by
1170 posts

I recommend that you purchase all the insurance and insurance upgrades that are tossed your way by the car rental company. Italy can be an unforgiving and difficult place to drive, and it is well worth it to have peace of mind while driving there. I feel at ease when I know that my butt is covered should I get into an accident, the car is stolen, or vandalized...

Posted by
934 posts

I also get all the insurance I can from the rental companies.I cant imagine trying to get the CC company to pay the rental after they have put it on your credit card and you are 4000 miles away.

Posted by
2297 posts

It is very rare for an insurance on your personal vehicle to cover the insurance for a rental car in Europe. However, there are some credit cards that do that. We have a visa gold through CIBC that handled an accident we had in Italy (our fault) with no decuctible and no problems. But I have no idea what cc you carry and what conditions your card offers. Check with them and read the fine print.

Posted by
1018 posts

Italy is one of the places where most credit cards do not cover the car insurance. Last summer I booked with AutoEurope and took the car through Europcar. I scraped the car and reported it when I turned in the car. The deductible with AutoEurope was 150 euro and 400 with Europcar. Europcar charged me the 400 euro and AutoEurope refunded the difference because it was stated on their invoice.

Whenever I rent in Europe I select the inclusive package containing the insurance. I visit Italy every year and driving there is always an adventure in motoring.

Buon viaggio,

RB