Please sign in to post.

4 nights in Rome

My husband and I have been to Italy before. Next July we are traveling to Rome with my famiy ( 5 Young adults between 23 and 19 years old )

They have never been in Italy before. Would you recommend us to take one day trip to Florence in the high speed train? I dont know if its better to just stay in Rome or if its a good idea to make a round trip tour to Florence
Thank you for helping!

Posted by
1208 posts

I vote stay in Rome. We had 5 nights in Rome last month and I wished we could have stayed another 5. Your time is short and I would not recommend using it up sitting in a train.

Posted by
103 posts

I would agree. Could you add a day and then Make Florence a day and a half trip? I spent equal time in both cities and felt I saw what I needed in Rome but didn't want to leave Florence. But to and from Florence would take up at least half of your day.

Posted by
11294 posts

Is 4 nights in Rome the entire trip, or are you going other places? That will help us give better advice.

There's another thread on how some people's best travel experiences have been short times (like a day) in places other people say need much more time. So I won't tell you to go or not go. Everyone will say there's plenty to keep you busy in Rome the whole time, which is of course true. And everyone will tell you that Florence deserves more than a day, which is also true.

But those aren't the issues you need to figure out. The issue for you is, are there things in Florence that YOU or YOUR family want to take a day out of your Rome time to see? And only you can answer that.

Posted by
10 posts

Well, we will be comming back from a 12 night cruise at the Baltic. After that, we are flying to Budapest to spend four nights and finally to Rome before we get back to our country. And you are right, the thing is that I love the Dome and San Lorenzo market in Florence!

Posted by
4870 posts

One can easily spend much more time in Rome not "see / do it all". By the time you get to your Rome hotel and get settled in you might have half a day left. Then you only have three full days before leaving. My vote would to stay in Rome.

Posted by
7737 posts

Save Florence for a future trip. If it's any consolation, there are a lot of other cities in Italy that you'll be missing out on as well. (^_^)