Please sign in to post.

4 days in Rome

Hello, we have 4 days in Rome and have already booked the Vatican St. Peters, etc. Wonering if anyone has suggestions for Colloseum and all the sights around there, like good tours and then does Borguese Museum take whole day. Then what else to do on last day. Also saw on forum you should make reservation for Borguese Museum. Do I use a specific internet sight. !st time in Rome with mt famuly. That's why so many questions. Will appreciate suggestions. Thank you Marte

Posted by
1203 posts

You will need a reservation for the Borguese Museum and you are only allowed in the museum for 2 hours. But it is a good amount of time to see it all. It is a mansion filled with art work and it is a highlight when you go to Rome. I would invest in buying the RS Rome guide book. It will explain how to make a reservation. I enjoyed some of the amazing churches in Rome and did a tour of the churches as that is where major art can be seen.

Posted by
15799 posts

Hi Marte -
Yes, you do have to do have to make pre-reservations for the Borghese, and you do that here:

http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/edefault.htm

You have to pick a specific day and 2-hour time slot. At the end of those two hours they clear the museum for the next group so you only have that amount of time to see the collection. Not to worry: you won't have any problem getting it all in during your couple of hours.

They do ask that you arrive at the museum 30 minutes before your entry time to check items not allowed inside. You can find that list here along with other good information:

http://www.galleriaborghese.it/borghese/en/einfo.htm

Do note that cameras ARE now allowed as long as you do not use flash.

The Colosseum, Forum and Palatine are all in the same area, and all included in one ticket. You may order tickets in advance (http://www.coopculture.it/en/the-colosseum.cfm) but easiest is just to go to the Palatine ticket kiosk in the morning: queues will be shortest there. One you have your ticket, you can visit the Palatine and Forum and then go over to the Colosseum or do it in reverse. You just can't split your Forum and Palatine visits into different times of the day: they must be done at one time.

As far as other things to see in Rome, the list is nearly endless! My husband and I have enjoyed the churches as they're all different, and many are art museums in-and-of themselves. The best part? With the exception of some which have Roman ruins under the foundations (a few euros to visit the excavations) they're virtually free. Some of the best of them are:

Santa Maria Maggiore
Santa Maria del Popolo
San Giovanni in Laterano (this is the Pope's 'offical' church as Bishop of Rome)
Gesu
Pantheon (this is a MUST: one of the best-preserved Roman structures of its age (going on 2,000 years)
San Clemente: a Roman Mithraic temple in the basement
Santa Sabina: a very old lady!
Santa Maria in Trastevere: gorgeous 13th-century mosaics

And so many more! Just like the Vatican, all Roman churches have a dress code so knees and shoulders covered, OK? Men too.

You'll want to take a peek at some of the piazzas: Popolo, Navona and Campo di Fiori are three of the more visited gathering spaces. There's a morning market Mon. - Sat. in C. di Fiori.

You might also take a walk by the ruins of Portico di Ottavia and Teatro di Marcello. These are in the Jewish quarter - another old and very interesting part of the city - and have signage in English which explains what you're looking at.

http://www.turismoroma.it/quartieri/ghetto-circomassimo?lang=en

Just a start! We haven't yet felt as if we've needed a tour - guidebooks and online research have served us well so far - but I know that others will have some suggestions.

Posted by
28 posts

Wow. So much information. Thank you so much. Yes I did spell Borghese incorrect. But are happy to hear from helpful, fellow travelers like yourselves. Thank you again. Marte

Posted by
11613 posts

I would add Santa Prassede and San Luigi dei Francesi to the list of churches. I also enjoyed taking the elevator at the Vittorio Emmanuel monument to the roof for views of Roma, with photo-posters labeling the sights you are looking at. After the Borghese, walk through the park to the Pincio (good signage will lead you there) for more views from the large terrace. Then take the footpath down to Piazza del Popolo, a beautiful piazza.

I like the Catacombs of Priscilla, in the northern part of the city (more convenient to get to than the catacombs along the Appia Antica).

Trastevere and the Jewish Ghetto are other beautiful walks.

Posted by
15576 posts

I second Zoe's suggestions. San Luigi dei Francesi is much more French than Italian inside and has 3 (or 4?) Caravaggio's. For Trastevere and the Ghetto, download Rick's free audio tours. You can do them both in about 3 hours, they are next to each other.

Posted by
7737 posts

First time in Rome? Then you should definitely buy Rick's Rome book and get all the helpful information in one spot. Trying to use the internet to answer as broad a question as "What should we do for 4 days?" is like trying to take a sip from a fire hose.

Posted by
11 posts

I did the walking food tour in Testaccio! Loved it!

4 days in Rome was too many for me. I wished I would have added another night onto Florence on my trip..