Please sign in to post.

4 days in Florence-2024

I plan to visit Florence in May of 2024. I will be in FLorence for 4 days. Any suggestions for places to visit/tours are appreciated. I am also planning to visit wineries in Tuscany while I am in FLorence. Any suggestions for wineries and/or tours are appreciated.

Posted by
38 posts

There are a lot of recent threads on Florence. My favorites were walking up to San Miniato before sunset for evening vespers (Gregorian chant), taking a walking tour through Tour Guys with skip-the-line access to Academia & Uffizi, the Bargello, climbing the cupola and campanile of Santa Maria del Fiore, and winding the streets eating gelato (La Carraia & La Strega Nocciola) or a Favolosa from All'Antico Vinaio (or a #1...om nom nom). If you're there on a weekend, the Sunday morning flea market in the Oltrarno is as good as it gets (rare books in Latin, German and English, vintage designer clothes, porcelain and fine art). Also take in Basilica di Santo Spirito while you're in the Oltrarno. It had some of the most beautiful paintings we could only treasure in our minds as there was a photography ban (and my fav wasn't in the giftshop as a book or postcard). I can't wait to return there.

Consider the days of the week you are visiting. Many museums close Mondays or Tuesdays, and a few are only open one day a week. I met a professor from Canada outside Orsanmichele, and he said he'd been coming for 15 years and never caught it open. He said the "closing time" of some buildings in the off season can be very "flexible." We were there 4 days and never caught it open, even though my local tour guide tried to help me out. It is on my bucket list for our upcoming visit. I've learned so much about it!

Posted by
3127 posts

I will be in FLorence for 4 days.

Does that mean you'll be in Florence for five nights?

Posted by
1662 posts

Figure out why you want to visit Florence in the first place and you'll find most of the answers you are looking for.

Posted by
342 posts

Churches. So many masterful frescoes in the churches.

• San Spirito
  • Santa Maria del Carmina
  • Santa Maria Novella
  • Santa Croce
  • Santa Trinita
    And sculpture in other churches

• San Lorenzo

• Duomo (Ghiberti’s reproduction doors on the Baptiserie across from the Duomo and the original doors in the Museum, or Opera, of the Duomo)

• San Miniato

I’m not a particularly religious person. I go to the churches for the art. It doesn’t get any better than these. As good, yes. Better. I don’t think so.