Please sign in to post.

Italy to Greece

I'm looking into spending 10 days in southern Italy (Sorrento homebase). I have a niece that lives in Athens Greece. How impossible, timewise, would it be to go there for a couple of days? And what would I have to do to get there? Would it be more feasable just to fly there for a couple of days and how expensive? Thank you!

Posted by
400 posts

Thank you Patrick. This is just the info I was looking for. Now I know I have to fly or skip it all together. Thanks again!

Posted by
32219 posts

Linda,

The easiest option would likely be a flight from Naples to Athens, via Aegean Air or Meridiana/Eurofly.

While this would undoubtedly be much shorter than the Ferry from Brindisi, your travel time would most likely still be 6 hours+ each way. That would include time to travel from Sorrento to Naples airport, check-in, security and the usual procedures.

I'm assuming that your niece would pick you up in Athens and then return you to airport for the flight back to Italy?

Good luck!

Posted by
400 posts

Thanks Ken, yes my niece would pick us up. Do you know how much a flight R/T would cost?

Posted by
400 posts

I meant to say that the 10 days is strickly land time...no flight time.

Posted by
606 posts

We took a ferry from Brindisi to the western coast of Greece, then caught a train to Athens. It was about a 24 hour trip. The ferry left about 10 p.m., we slept through the night, swam in the ferry's pool the next day and finally arrived at the Greek port the next afternoon.

A train left soon after that for Athens, and it was well after dark when we finally got there.

So I'd say if you're only wanting a couple of days in Athens, you'd better fly or you'll spend all your time just getting there and back.