Please sign in to post.

Traffic Ticket

We were in Pisa over a year ago (July 31, 2008). We JUST today received a traffio ticket in the mail for "circulating in an unrestricted area". It is for 115 Euro if paid asap, or 187.50 Euro after 60 days...We don't remember ever being in violation of this, and the server they tell you to check out (to see your picture of the violation) does not work.
What happens if you don;t pay? Has anyone had this happen? We also were hit last year when we returned home a $400 surcharge for damages that never happened on the Hertz Rental from Florence. Took over a year between my bank and Hertz, and we still ended up with the charge.
Any advice appreciated. We really had a good time, but were not happy in the end of this trip! $$$

Posted by
10344 posts

Here's the link to an on-going discussion we've been having on this forum of Italy traffic tickets, including additional links that discuss your options:

click here

The 2nd page of the discussion has the more recent discussions had on this forum

The original post at the top of the first page summarizes what we know about the situation and contains some additional links.

Posted by
32249 posts

Susan,

It sounds like you passed through one of the Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly common in many locations in Italy. This seems to especially true in Florence, where it's almost impossible to drive anywhere in the city without violating one of the zones. Kent posted an excellent Map of the city here on the HelpLine, but I'd have to search to find it.

It's not surprising that you "don't remember ever being in violation of this" as the Cameras are automated, and simply take a photo of vehicles and license plate numbers passing through the zones. It's also not unusual for the delay of a year to receive the ticket. Did you receive this from European Municipality Outsourcing?

Regarding the Insurance, I've been taking the full CDW option (with minimal or no deductible) from the rental firms lately, as I don't want any "surprises" like the one you described.

Regarding whether or not to pay the fine, you'll have to make that decision. The Forum rules limit the responses we can provide here. This is one reason why I prefer to use car rentals somewhat "strategically" and use public transportation for the most part, especially in Italy. Unless travelling to smaller villages, public transportation is usually easier, quicker and doesn't have the potential for "issues" like the ZTL tickets.

Good luck!

Posted by
1170 posts

Hertz is really bad about reporting its customers to the authorities regarding these traffic tickets. They will also charge YOU a fee for doing this. I definitely wouldn't rent from Hertz again. If you don't think that you were in the wrong, you might wait to see if they can offer you proof through their website. Otherwise, you should probably just pay it, because they got your license number somehow and most likely it was from their traffic camera.

Posted by
1014 posts

When traveling and using a cc to book cars, I get a new one, with a 2000 limit. When I travel, I book cars on this one. When I get home I pay it off and cancel it. That way, a year later, if the above happens, there is no card to bill and they can keep their fines.

Posted by
4555 posts

John....you can cancel your card as frequently as you want....but if a legitimate charge comes through, the credit card companies will pass it on to you.