Please sign in to post.

Traveling alone

My husband is going ahead of me to Rome where we have rented an apartment for two months. I had planned to go for two months also but was told after six months of planning I could not have both months off from work. I have flown many times but not alone. Has anyone advise for me? I need encougagement.

Posted by
11507 posts

sue, so you are not actually vacationing solo,, you are just getting on the plane,, then from the airport to the apartment alone?

I will try to be encouraging,, but I am partly thinking, what is the problem?? I am middle aged woman and I actually have travelled and stayed alone,, so I have a hard time understanding what it is you are actually nervous about. You are a grown woman, obviously intelligent,, and I am sure you are more then capable of this small task.

When you board the plane in Omaha,, everyone will speak english,, so no problem there right? Sit, read, watch movie, eat the bad food, try to sleep, and then there you are, arriving in Rome! Then, when you do arrive in Rome,, you will have to go through immigration , but it is so easy,, you just follow the other couple of hundred folks who were on your flight.. you can't get lost.

Now, follow the crowd, get luggage and then you exit station and find a taxi stand.. or arrange for a car. This might be the only intimidating part,, but really, you could just ask hubby to meet you at airport,, so viola,, no problem, no longer alone!

Take address and phone number of apartment and hubby in case you miss each other.

Don't worry,, you are on holiday,, how exciting,, have a ball.

( ps ,, mean work not giving you the time off, seems I hear alot from people who have holiday time cleared, only to have it snatched back at ,, frustrating I am sure,, and in this job market everyone has to just shut up and put up,, so unfair!)

Posted by
606 posts

I assume you already know how to get to the airport, park or whatever.

Don't hesitate to ask for help at the airport. Just go up to any person behind a counter and ask for help checking in, getting your boarding pass, getting to your gate. Even if you ask at the wrong place, I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you where to go.

Passing through security is next. That's nothing new to you.

You wait at your gate (check the display at the help counter to make sure it lists your flight number and departure time, so you know you're at the right place) until they tell you to board the plane.

Once you get off the plane in Rome, just look for the baggage claim signs. Follow the signs and the crowds to baggage claim. At some point you'll pass through immigration control where they'll look at your passport and waive you on through. If there are several lanes, look for the one NOT for European Union citizens.

Once there you might have to ask for help to find the right baggage carousel for your particular flight number. Once you find the right carousel, just wait for your bags to come off and grab them.

Then head on to customs. You want the "nothing to declare" lane, and you want the one NOT for European Union citizens.

Once you pass through this (you'll probably just walk right through since you aren't declaring anything for customs) you're in Rome. I assume your husband will be waiting for you there, or he will have told you how to get a taxi and go to the apartment.

Posted by
9429 posts

When I was 18 I flew to Europe by myself. I had to fly from SF to Vancouver, get a taxi to an airport hotel, spend the night, then get myself back to the airport and on the plane which took me to Munich. I didn't want to do it that way, or alone, but other than not going, I had no choice. It all went fine. You will be totally fine. You'll have the excitement of going on a wonderful vacation to Rome to focus on and to look forward to. Just think of it as a fun adventure!

Posted by
35 posts

Thank you everyone, that was just what I needed. I will focus on the vacation and not the getting there.

Posted by
1201 posts

Sue - you'll be fine.

My suggestion to you is make him take all your stuff with him when he goes. so that all you have to worry about is a very small carry on or just your purse.

Posted by
32249 posts

sue,

Is there any possibility that your employer might agree to a "compromise" of six weeks?

Regarding travelling to Rome by yourself, as you've "flown many times" I'm sure you'll be used to the routine. When you get to the airport (probably "International Departures" section) simply go to the desks for which airline you're using, check in and get your boarding pass and drop your checked luggage. The Boarding Pass will list the gate number. If you have questions, ask one of the officials.

Go through security and proceed to your gate. You might give some thought to your seat selection when you check in. Do you prefer aisle or window seats (each have pros & cons). I generally take aisle seats as it's easier to use the WC and slightly quicker to disembark. Window seats have the advantage of something to "lean against" when you sleep.

The flight will likely be the same as the others you took. Watch a movie, sleep, read, enjoy the "cuisine and beverages", chat with fellow passengers, etc.

When you arrive in Rome, follow the crowd. You'll have to go through Immigration and have your Passport stamped. When you're done with the "formalities", make your way to the station and take the Leonardo Express into the city. You can buy tickets at the airport - DON'T forget to validate in the yellow machines! Your husband can meet you at Roma Termini, rather than having to travel out to FCO. If you're travelling with a GSM cell phone, you can call him when your flight lands.

Be sure to check your Passport to ensure at least six months remaining on it. You might want to get €50 or so for the trip.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1018 posts

Relax, you will only be without him for the return flight. During the summer of 2008 my girl friend could only travel with me in Italy for 2 weeks and I was to be there for 4 weeks. I took her to Fiumicino Airport in Roma and took her to T5. She followed directions to the gate, got on the plane, and arrived at our home airport. It is pretty goof-proof. If you have flown alone in the USA you can fly home alone from Italy.

Buon viaggio,

RB