Please sign in to post.

When to Go??

Thanks to everyone who helped me start ot whittle down my itinerary on my last post. My oldest son (an art student) has indicated that he would like to go with me. My question is when would be a good time to go. I usually try to plan trips during either the off or shoulder season. If we are visiting Rome, Umbria, Tuscany, Bologna and Venice would January be an ok time to visit? We are from Minnesota so tempatures above freezing would be good enough for us.

Posted by
632 posts

Kathleen...I think it all depends on what you are interested in doing. There are really two different Italys. There is the Summer Italy that is best seen in the Northern lakes, on the Italian Riviera (including the CT)and in Tuscany...then there is the winter Italy...the Ski resorts of the Dolomites, Rome, Florence, Milan, and Venice (Venice is really both summer and winter). So, yes the winter will be warmer than Minnesota, but depending on what you want to do...you may want to adjust your schedule.

Posted by
117 posts

Thanks Bill. I should have included that. We were not planning to visit either the Lakes region or the CT on this trip, so I'm thinking weather wise it should be ok.

Posted by
606 posts

By Minnesota standards, Rome, Umbria, Tuscany, Bologna and Venice would be fine in January. The Internet search I did for Bologna says the Average High Temperature is 43 F with a historical range of 28 F to 57 F. The Average Low Temperature is 32 F with a historical range of 17 F to 44 F. The rest of the places you visit would probably be a little warmer than Bologna.

But personally, I'd rather go in October, when it's cooler than summer but there are still some festivals, still some eating outdoors at the sidewalk cafes, still some life to the place.

If you go in the heart of winter you'll miss some of the things that make Italy so great, but it will still be wonderful, and warmer than Minnesota!

Posted by
10344 posts

This link will take you to a weather website that enables you to get factual info upon which to base realistic expectations of the probable weather in those places at that time of year (should you be interested in doing so)

click here

Posted by
117 posts

It's that now I'm trying to work around his school schedule. I would have preferred October or November but I doubt he will have a long enough break to make it work then.

You're right, 43 degrees would be balmy for us in January.

Posted by
65 posts

We were in Tuscany and Umbria in Jan/Feb of 2008 and had a wonderful time. We're from Georgia and the weather in January was a lot like what we're used to. Highs weren't much over 60-65 and our lows at night were usually in the mid 40's. We had a lot of drizzle. The upside to going in winter is we had no crowds, no difficulty getting a table at a restaurant and the hotel rates were cheaper. We ran into a few restaurants that were closed but there are plenty that are open so it's not a problem. We loved our trip and would definitely go at this time of year again. Things are a lot less hectic in winter. Go and have a wonderful time.

Posted by
1201 posts

Days will be shorter in January so plan outdoor sightseeing accordingly.

Layering should be the key for comfort. I'd suggest a waterproof shell as the last layer. You are likely to encounter some rain or drizzle.

Posted by
187 posts

Hi Kathleen,

Fellow Minnesotan here, I believe we've "met" before on the boards.

The way I look at it, there are palm trees in many of the pictures (Venice and perhaps CT if my memory serves me correctly). So, I think you'll be fine!

We Minnesotans are lucky, we can travel when it's quieter and others think it's too cold!

We're going in March around Spring Break time.

Posted by
117 posts

Hi Elizabeth-

You are right about Minnesotans being able to travel most anytime and being happy. A lot of our trips have been during the off-season. We are generally happy if it's 20 degrees or more warmer than it is at home.

March had originally been my 1st choice, but his break then is only a week. You should have a great time at that time of year.

Posted by
15584 posts

Even though the temps are usually well above zero, and you are even likely to have really fine days, it is also likely that you will have rain and very high humidity, which makes it seem colder. Don't be put off, but do take warm clothes - layers are best.

Posted by
1170 posts

One thing to consider if visiting Venice is that the winter time is when you will get the most flooding from the high tides. Last December they had record flooding in Venice. It was all over the news. However, they did dry out. I don't know how they do it.