Please sign in to post.

Our Itinerary

My wife and I are beginning to plan a trip to Italy in May/June 2010. We've pretty much decided on what cities/areas to visit--Rome. Cinque Terre, Florence, Varenna and Venice. I like this order because we stay in more restful places between visiting the larger cities. I know we will pass by Florence on the way to CT, but wanted to get your advice on this itinerary. Any other areas/towns we might consider instead of Varenna. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
3250 posts

You could consider Verona (between Milan and Venice.) Varenna is nice if you want to stay on Lake Como but Verona is a wonderful smaller Italian city where there is so much more to see than Juliet's Balcony. Rick Steve's section on Verona has some great suggestions including his Verona walking tour, the Roman theater and museum, and the Roman arena.

Posted by
4 posts

We're planning on 13-14 days. Thanks.

Posted by
15591 posts

Sounds lovely.

From CT to Florence you will likely have a train change in Pisa. You can drop your bags at the left luggage in the train station and take a short bus ride to see the leaning tower. Again, between Varenna and Venice, you can stop to see Verona for a day.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the advice, Sharon and Chani!

Posted by
267 posts

Verona is definitely worth a look. I was there for 5 days last year, but it can be done in a day. It's beautiful, smaller than the big tourist towns, walker-friendly, and home of the Arena of Verona. It's an almost 2,000 year old stadium built of pink and white limestone and still used today for concerts, operas, etc. Amazing to me that something that old is still standing and still used!! It was the most fabulous thing to sit on the marble seats inside and wonder who, in the past 2,000 years, sat there before me. Excellent!!
Read up on Verona in Rick Steve's Italy and do his self-guided tour around the city, and if you are in decent physical condition, DO go up to Castel San Pietro. Lots of stairs, but the view is worth it. (can also drive up to it, tho)

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks Robyn. Sharon: We're still leaning toward staying in Varenna and maybe stopping in Verona on the way to Venice (it depends on how anxious we are to get to Venice!).

Thanks all.

Posted by
14 posts

Ciao Art,

Depending on your interests (and selected means of transportation), I would consider staying in Siena while near Florence. It is a fun and vibrant medium sized town which has alot to offer. It is fun and exciting in the evening after many of the tourists leave (Florence is perpetually crowded :-)).

Buon Viaggio!
-Chris

Posted by
255 posts

Art, are you planning open jaw flights...flying into Rome and out of Venice? If so, you may want to reverse the order of your trip. It is sometimes difficult to get to the airport in Venice for extremely early flights back home due to the vaporetto schedules.

Posted by
3250 posts

I agree with Chris' idea about staying in Siena to visit Florence. It's an easy bus trip to Florence from Siena.