Please sign in to post.

Towels

Has anyone had to actually bring a towel when traveling in Italy? We are staying in 4 RS hotels...

Posted by
32214 posts

Jo,

Especially in Italy, you may find that some Hotels provide a very thin towel, similar to a "dish towel", rather than the thicker "terry towel" style. They work but certainly not as comfortable.

I always pack along a "travel towel" similar to those shown in the Travel Store, just in case I need it.

Which tour are you taking?

Happy travels!

Posted by
2297 posts

All hotels will provide towels. People do bring towels along to

• use as beach towels

• help them dry clothing after a sink wash

And some will bring a face cloth as those are rarely provided.

Posted by
7737 posts

I believe that the non-terry cloth towels are called "waffle weave" or something similar and they are not what most Americans expect. (I don't know where Bergenfield is, but I assume you're American.)

They don't soak up the water like terry cloth does, but they dry much faster. Do bring a washcloth with you, though. RS also has a handy handtowel sized towel that is pretty absorbent and doesn't take much room.

Posted by
16 posts

All of the places I stayed in Italy provided towels, none of which were what I'd call fluffy--but they were certainly adequate. I brought a washcloth from home, though--and I was glad I did, since none were offered, and it was a simple but profound comfort to use it to wash my face after each glorious but somewhat gritty day.

Posted by
927 posts

Yes, I bring two great big cotton towels.
It may seem silly. I also bring a big bar of soap. And one American style vending machine sized laundry detergent box.

Posted by
891 posts

I have never brought towels, we just make do.
Also, instead of bringing a washcloth I use the Olay facial cleansing sheets. The dry ones that you wet and they lather into a nice Olay facial cleanser. One hotel had no soap, so we'd wash our face in the shower and then use it to wash the body. It worked fine. Also, Purex 3 in 1 laundry cloths (Walmart) are dry, you just throw them in the washer or sink to do laundry.
I avoid taking liquids as much as possible, and all of these items just get less and less in the suitcase as the trip goes along. Have fun!

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all the input..we will be starting in Rome, up to CT, over to Florence then onto Venice..14 days =)

Posted by
927 posts

Stop by Milan on the route to Venice just to visit the Duomo Roof....

Posted by
3250 posts

Surprisingly this topic was discussed very recently! Here's the thread:

Do I Need to Pack a Towel?

Posted by
1825 posts

Magellan sells disposable washcloths the size of a coin that when you add water become a 'handi wipe' like wash cloth. I find them great to throw in my bag. They can last two to three days if you rinse them after use.

Posted by
1170 posts

Yeah the towels are pretty lame there, however don't waste precious luggage space bringing a bath towel.

Posted by
1446 posts

The only think I take are disposable washcloths because I've noticed that a lot of hotels in Europe don't supply washcloths. I got them from Magellan's & they look like white pills the size of a nickel & once you put them under water they become a full-size washcloth. I just can't wash my face without a washcloth!