Please sign in to post.

Venice to Florence

We're flying into Venice where we'll spend two nights and one full day before going on to a small town in Tuscany SW of Florence. We'll be there for a week so we'll need a car. Would we be better off taking the train from Venice to Florence and picking up a car there or driving the whole distance?

Another question, any recommendations on what district/neighborhood to stay in Venice and if so a particular hotel? For one day and evening any recommendations on priorities to see there?

Thanks!

Posted by
22 posts

I can't sepak to the car rental issue, but anywhere you stay in Venice is basically an easy walk to anywhere else. I woul definitely go to St. Marks Square in the evening and listen to the orchestra's - that was wonderful. I would also take a gondola ride - there is nothing like it. We were there for 3 nights, so we also took the boat over to Lido and went to the beach for about 2 hours which was fun.

Posted by
6898 posts

The train station in Venice is very conveniently located on the Grand Canal. It's a 2.5hr train ride on the Eurostar from Venice to Florence. By the time you get to the Piazzale Roma, rent the car and get out on the highway, you're about a 1/3 of the way to Florence on the train.

Be very careful about driving a car in Florence. The entire historical area is one giant restricted driving zone. Very expensive tickets and they will get your license plate with computerized cameras. You can rent your car outside of these zones.

Posted by
75 posts

Our rule of thumb in Italy for car rentals is to get the rental car in a less congested city; for example, we left Rome on the train to Perugia, where the rental agency was right at the train station...could not be easier! This year, knowing we wanted to do a day trip to Florence for some research, we chose a farmhouse rental outside Cortona and near the Torontola train station and avoided the dreadful experience of actually driving in Florence with its restricted zones. And we used the rental car all the rest of the week for visits to San Gimignano, Assisi, Orvieto, etc.
As for Venice, we have found the best accommodations for us are those near a vaporetto stop on the Grand Canal....walking is wonderful there but I have bad knees and all the bridges and stairs wear me out! For such a short stay, don't miss the San Marco basilica and piazza, and the Rialto bridge!

Posted by
3 posts

I can't speak to the car rental question, but for Venice, it seems like you are only there a short time.

I took RS advice and hopped on the vaporetto that goes up and back along the grand canal. You go under the Rialto Bridge. I also went across the grand canal to San Maggiore - the church there has gregorian chant mass if you are there on a sunday morning, and from that campanile, you get a beautiful view of St. Mark's square - and it's much less crowded. I too would recommend St. Mark's square and wandering around. I did one of Rick's guided walks. I was there for 2 days last summer and took boats to Murano and Burano, and I'd recommend spending more time in Burano - very quaint.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all of you for the responses; very helpful. Still trying to decide on where to pick up a car. We probably won't go to Florence from Venice; may save that for later in the week.