Please sign in to post.

Rome to Milan

We are planning a trip from Rome to Milan in 14 days. But we are trying to decide if we should include Cinque Terre and drive a car. It's 3 of us including our son who is 15. We are not hikers and my husband is a nervous driver. have I answered my own question? What would you recommend to do with a 15 year old?

Posted by
10344 posts

"My husband is a nervous driver." That's a significant factor, when it comes to deciding when to drive and when to take the train in Italy--especially when the three destinations you list are well served by train.

Many nervous drivers do not have the quality of their vacation enhanced by driving in Italy, and especially driving from Rome to Milan to Cinque Terre--which is completely unnecessary because the train service connecting those destinations is excellent. Train is how 90% of people on this forum go from Rome to Milan to Cinque Terre.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you so much for your input! I think we'll g=do just that...take a train.

Posted by
5 posts

Would you recommend any companies to use for biking, cooking...or any other interesting things to do, esp for a 15 year old boy?

Posted by
32214 posts

Kim,

There's a direct train from Roma Termini to La Spezia that takes about four hours. It's a very easy (and pleasant) trip and I very much doubt that you'd be able to drive in that time frame (especially as your husband is a "nervous driver"). The train ride from the C.T. to Milan is also very easy.

I'm not exactly sure what to recommend for activities for a 15-year-old? One of the most popular activities in the C.T. is hiking the trails between the five villages, but if you're "not hikers", I guess that's not an option. Which of the five villages are you staying in? I don't recall there being many recreational activities there, but I suppose swimming and relaxing on the beach would be a good start.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you, Ken. I think we decided to skip CT and stay in a Villa in Tuscany. We would have a car and interested in doing things around the countryside. Would you have anyideas about things to do/see? The Villa is 1 1/2 hrs from Florence and we're probably not going to be driving at night. Thanks.

Posted by
5 posts

What about good hotels for Venice and Milan? Need 1 room with 3 beds....