Please sign in to post.

Bike tour in Italy

My wife and I are looking to cycle through Tuscany next summer. Does anyone have info regarding where to rent bikes (or advice on bringing our own) and what places we should visit? We'll probably do a four or five day trip and then head out to Cinque Terra to relax and recover before we head home, so information on where to store bikes and/or luggage would be heplful as well. We'd probably want to limit travel to twenty or thirty miles a day and would carry a change of clothes and minimal toiletries on our back, and then want to swap the bikes for more comfort at the tail end of the trip hence the need to store some luggage somewhere.

Thanks in advance!

Posted by
1883 posts

It will take a bit of planning to try to do this on your own. I'd suggest getting in touch with Tony at www.irondonkey.com

His company does self guided, guided and self supported tours, and can custom design one just for you.

He can do as many days as you want, help to plan out the route, the miles, the hotels, or camping grounds. He can work with your budget, rent you the bikes and arrange for luggage transfer as needed. He can hold your luggage and deliver it at the end of your trip - what ever you need.

We take our own bike all the time, it's bit of a hassle, but we go just for riding (with our tandem bike) Make sure if you plan on Tuscany that you train for the riding, it's nice and hilly, even 20-30 miles can be a more difficult ride that you are used to doing.

Places to visit - there are so many! Perhaps start in Florence, San Gimignano, Volterre, Greve, Siena (not in this order!) If you do a 4-5 day trip, you won't go to too many places, plan on 2-3, and take a loop ride out one day. Tony can best advise you!