Please sign in to post.

Night train in Italy

Hello, I'm currently n Rome and I need to get to Crotone so I'm planing on taking the train and there is a direct train there but leaves at 23:30. And I was wondering if any of you think this is safe and ok?
This is my first time in Italy and always hearing that pickpockets are around the train station so I would be a bit nervous waiting that long for the train. Is there places I can stay before my train? I would be checking out of my hotel the same day which would be at noon so I got nearly twelve hours to kill with my luggage in tow.

Posted by
1449 posts

What you suggest is fine if you take appropriate cautions.

Wear a money belt and pickpockets are not a real problem; the concern is some one dashing off with your bag while you're distracted. If you only have 1 bag you're not an easy target; if you're pulling 3 suitcases it's a little harder to keep them all corralled if you go to the restroom or something.

Walking to the station alone really late at night isn't the best plan; if you got there around 10 pm or so and hung out you'd be ok; since you are in Rome now you can swing by there and see if any restaurants are open all nite, otherwise its hanging out by the tracks. Or you could stay in the lobby of your hotel and take a cab there around 10:45pm (adjusted for how far your hotel is from the station). Even if its just a mile, the cab ensures you're dropped off right at the station entrance without having to walk streets late at night.

And at most hotels you can leave your luggage with the front desk if you've been a guest. So you have another afternoon & nite to explore the city.

Posted by
8700 posts

If for some reason your hotel won't keep your luggage for you after you check out, use the left-luggage facilities at Termini.