Please sign in to post.

Night Trains

Where do I find information on schedules for night trains?

I am thinking Rome to Vernazza or Naples to Vernazza.... or Rome to Florence.

I will be going in winter where there is MUCh less daytime hours, so I do not want to waste the day on the trains.

Thanks!

Posted by
4555 posts

For all rail schedules in Italy, check the Italian national rail site, Trenitalia, and input your travel details. They work 60 days out, but you can try checking earlier dates on the same day of the week that you plan to travel...they shouldn't change that much. At this point, the train that will get you the most sleep appears to be the 768 Scilla...you take a regional train out of Naples at 10:20 pm, catch the overnight train at Caserta at 12:35 am, then get into La Spezia at 7 am, where you change for Vernazza. It does not go thru Rome. Any of the overnight trains from Rome leave around 11 pm and get into La Spezia at 4 or 5 in the morning, where you wait for your connection to Vernazza....not a lot of sleep, and some early-morning transfers! There are a couple of overnight trains from Rome that go thru Florence...but the journey time is only 2-3 hours, so you certainly won't sleep on those!

Posted by
6898 posts

Norm has the best answer on a night train from Naples to La Spezia. There are a couple of other night trains but skipping Rome Termini is a bonus.

As for Rome to Florence, the journey only takes 1hr-40min on the high-speed. There are night trains leaving Rome for Zurich that stop in Florence but you're there in about 2hrs. And, the stop in Florence is not the main station - it's the Campo di Marte station.

There's only so much daylight that you can trade for a night train.