Please sign in to post.

gps in italy

i recently purchased a gps with western europe maps specifically to help with driving in tuscany. i now realize that my rental car does have the option of reserving a gps. previously i had understood that "reserving" a gps in a rental was really "if we have a car with a gps you might get lucky". does anyone have any experience with the reliability of reserving a gps in a rental car. and should i just have gotten a iphone (please say no). thx.

Posted by
10344 posts

No worries, you did the right thing. Unlike renting in the US, simply checking the GPS option for an Italy car rental does not guarantee you'll get one when you get to the counter.

Now you'll have the peace of mind of knowing you're covered and you'll have time, now, to get familiar with the operation of the unit.

Now all you have to do is stay out of Florence.

Posted by
111 posts

With your own GPS, you can get familiar with the unit, preload locations, also use it for walking. It won't be wasted.

Posted by
3 posts

phew. just what i wanted to hear. now, if i am dropping the rental at a rome airport (only option on a sunday) which airport is preferable (for ease of dropping car and getting into Rome)?

Posted by
111 posts

I returned at Ciampino coming from Amalfi, about 25 miles closer than FCO. It's small and convenient, like Burbank vs LAX. All the rental companies share same building with car lot right adjacent. A shuttle takes you to the gate and taxi stand 5 minute away. No easy public transportation, but only 30 euro by cab to town.

Posted by
10344 posts

Most people driving a rental car in from the Tuscany side return the car to the main Rome airport (FCO). There's an express shuttle train that gets you from the airport directly into the city.

Posted by
213 posts

Jennifer, I'm bringing my own GPS to Italy in September. I'll definitely use it for driving in Tuscany but also in the cities for walking. As Julie said, you can use it for walking around. I have city maps for Rome, Florence, etc., so I think it will come in handy--especially in Venice. Just be careful not to flash it around in areas where potential thieves might grab it.