Please sign in to post.

night train reservations

I know rick suggests getting night train sleeper reservations asap. whats the reality.... can you get a night train sleeper compartment the same day as departure? experiences you have had will be appreciated... Venice to budapest to be specific

Posted by
9100 posts

You should always get advance reservations for night trains...especially if you want a private sleeper. Those are the first rooms to sell out.

Posted by
553 posts

You need reservations, even if you have a railpass. You absolutely must make the reservations as soon as you know for sure you're taking that train. I planned a trip two years ago and we took the night train from Milan to Paris and it was the only flaw in our 12 day trip. I didn't realize that in order for us to get a three berth compartment I needed to reserve it as soon as we arrived in Italy, which was eight days earlier. Getting reservations two days before the trip, I ended up with a SIX person compartment. In itself was not a major problem, but the luggage space is more limited and there's always the doubt of security with strangers. Everything was fine in the end, but the three person compartment (it was my wife and her mother with me) would have been much more pleasant.

I must say, however, that it is not quite as exotic as Rick portrays it, although it does save you a day of sightseeing. We left Milan at 11:25 PM and as soon as the train pulled out of the station the food and drink car closed for the night. On ours the train made several stops and that woke me up when it did. All that being said, I'd definitely do it again with more advanced reservations. Arriving in the fog going through the villages outside Paris made it all worth while.