Please sign in to post.

The words: "affordable and/or Cheap"

A suggestion: when you ask for advice, please do not utilize the above words. It is very very subjective. What is affordable or cheap to you, may not be to others. Be specific. What is the cost, in dollars, you are looking to purchase a product or service.

Posted by
6898 posts

Adding on to that is the request for the "best and least expensive". Most often in travel, the best is never the least expensive.

Posted by
606 posts

"Most often in travel, the best is never the least expensive."

Bite your tongue! It's Rick Steves himself who said, "...time after time you'll find that [Europe's] best acts are free and the best seats are the cheap ones."

But yes, of course, you're right. Going on the cheap is rarely easy. You pay with your money, or you pay with your time and comfort.

I had an uncle who was always saying, "It only costs a little more to go first class." Boy, I'm glad he didn't live to see what a first class airplane ticket costs these days!

Posted by
6898 posts

Patrick, thinking twice, there have been many things that I have the fondest memories of that were free or almost free. You have a good point.

Posted by
423 posts

Jeff, I would recommend that when someone asks for inexpensive/affordable/budget - they actually state what their maximum price per night/meal/etc. is, in the appropriate currency for the country they are visiting. This would require at least knowing what the current exchange rate is - showing that someone has done some basic homework before inquiring.

This avoids several postings asking what someone's definiation is... etc.

Posted by
3580 posts

I have a problem with the word "nice" when describing lodgings. Does that mean "clean" or "modern" or...what? I would rather the request would be for: less than X $$, located near X, safe neighborhood, breakfast/no breakfast included, elevator, helpful desk people, luggage storage,near transportation, etc.

Posted by
7737 posts

Good suggestions all. Sadly the people who most need to hear them are new posters who don't appear to bother to look around for suggestions before posting. Oh, well.