Please sign in to post.

trip report

Just got back from 2 weeks first time to Italy for 40th wedding anniversary. Loved every minute. Will share some info.
Trip started with 2 nights Venice, stayed at Hotel Riva, very central location. Then train to Florence 2 nights at Villa Bonelli in Fiesole with 20 minute bus ride to city center. 2nd class train very comfortable and about 60% vacant. Visited Uffizi and Accademia by advance reservation. Nice dinner at il Latina, under 100euro for 2 complete dinners with wine and desert. Picked up rental car drove to San Gimignano. Highly recommend Dulcis in Fundo with own farm grown produce and the best white wine at 3euro a glass. Next 2 nights Siena at Borgo Grondaie which I can't praise enough. Stopped at Tivoli Villa d'Este on way to Pompeii, 2 nights at Hotel Amleto. Visited Serrento and Positano by train, bus and ferry. Drove to Ciampino return rental car for 4 days in Rome. Stayed at Bin Chen B&B around the corner from Vittorio Emanuele metro stop, very reasonable rate. Walked to Fassi for gelato every evening. Rome captured our hearts. I'm glad we put Rome, the grandest at the end. I will post Roma Pass, car rental return, Florence public transportation, driving Italy separately so interested people can find them.
Our trip would not have been this good without the info and help here. So thanks, grazie and ???

Posted by
35 posts

Hi Julie, We are just off on our "BIG" family adventure with 17 & 19 year old sons - combination of 20th anniversary, 50th BD amongst other things. Paris 4 days, Venice 2 nights/1 day, 7 in Tuscany near San Gimignano, 3 in Orvieto and area and than the last 4 days are in Rome. DO you recommend the Roma Pass, do you need to pre- book Vatican etc. Any tips most welcome but especially for Rome.

Thanks so much!

Wendy