Please sign in to post.

Venice to Lake Como?

My husband & I will be traveling by eurail from Venice to Lake Como but we are not sure which train station we need to go to? Also, suggestions for accomodations in Lake Como (or if there is a more preferable place nearby) would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by
137 posts

Just returned from our trip to Italy tonight. Jealous you still get to experience Venice and Lake Como - they were both wonderful.

Train is really really easy. I advise you to figure out what train you want to take before you leave. Here's the website:
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c79686605528a110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

It made us alot more comfortable purchasing our tickets. You can buy the tickets right then and there. 2nd class is just fine.

Get your tickets from Venice to Varenna. Venice to Milan was about 3 hrs, Milan to Varenna about 45 minutes. There's a little boat that takes you from Varenna to Bellagio (and elsewhere on the lake)

We stayed two nights in Varenna and one night in Bellagio. We really really really enjoyed the Hotel Centrale in Bellagio. They were very nice, good breakfast, great location. We were in room 101 I think and we had terrace that had a view. Again, we really liked it and it was $120 (we had two rooms, one was $120 and one for our three kids was $140)

Be sure to be ready to jump off the train in Varenna because it's only there for one minute. We were so taken by our excitement over the view that we weren't ready and we literally were holding the train doors open throwing our luggage (and kids!!) through the door. All great memories though!!

Enjoy!!!