Please sign in to post.

Euro Travelers checks

Has anyone had experience with Euro Travelers checks? I'de rather pay a fee up front in the USA and not have to be worried about "scams" on credit cards and ATM's.

Where to purchase?

Posted by
7737 posts

Travelers checks of any kind are worthless. No one accepts them. Use your ATM card.

Posted by
11507 posts

What scams on ATMs.. I have used them for the last 15 yrs in Europe and never been scammed,( hey,, did get ripped off at HOME , but my bank refunded me on that so no loss to me) , NO one wants a travellers check,, so don't bother taking them.. You will frustrated and sorry you didn't take the advice about not bothering with travellers checks.

Posted by
15067 posts

If you use a legitimate bank ATM, and check to make sure no one is watching, or that nothing has been added to the ATM machine, you'll be much better off using your ATM card and credit cards.

Most places will not take travelers checks and you'll more than likely have to go to a bank to cash them.

You'll also get the best exchange rate using the cards.

I stopped using TC's in 1992. ATM's were convenient then and even more so now.

Posted by
8293 posts

Not only will you have to go to a bank to cash your Travellers' Cheques, you will have to find a bank that happens to be OPEN when you need money. Good luck with that !

Posted by
194 posts

Not only will you have trouble cashing travelers checks at banks, HOTELS won't take them. They were hard to use 7 years ago (we were burdened with them then); I haven't used them since and imagine they're even harder now. Use your ATM card. It'll make your traveling much simpler.

Posted by
307 posts

The simple answer for ATM's in Europe is if you're comfortbale using these cards/machines at home, you should feel comfortable using them in Europe. I've used them in several european countries and never had any problems of any kind. Definitely the best option( that and a credit card ). As Rick suggests, when you do use the debit card at an ATM, take enough cash for a few days, rather than numerous small amounts, as this will save on the transaction fee costs.

Posted by
411 posts

One of our students a few years ago brought traveller's checks and found it very difficult to get them cashed. They were American Express checks and basically they had to be cashed at an American Express office. I've always used my atm card with no problems. HOWEVER I would recommend having a second bank atm card (from another bank) as a backup. Be sure to tell your bank the dates you'll be travelling and if possible to raise your limit for the duration of the trip. Make sure you have a 4 digit pin (at least in Italy) and to use atm's attached to actual banks. Plan ahead and get the max on each transaction and keep your extra cash in a well hidden money belt. If you atm card gets rejected don't panic--- it's happened to me once or twice every trip. I just move on to another bank's atm and it always goes through. Try to use the atm in the daytime (if your card gets eaten you can go into the bank, be aware of anyone too close and I've heard some mention they always use the atm after another customer to make sure it's working correctly.

Posted by
23281 posts

Maggie, I think I am the one who recommends waiting behind someone. If it works for them is should work for me. In 15 years of using ATMs we have never had a problem and never had to use the back up card. However, my second withdraw in country is always the backup card just to be sure that it is working.

Posted by
1455 posts

BJ,
There are some ATM's which are rigged. Those are the "stand alone" independent, no name ones. Avoid those stand alone atms and go to one that is mounted on the bank.

You will know if its a genuine bank atm.

If you are worried about people looking over your shoulder, there are ATMs in secured bank areas enclosed in glass or a partitian. Its not as common as a street ATM, but you can find those.

Euro or American TC's are good for back up, but basically its just more paper to carry.

I also agree that you shoudl have 2 ATM cards, in the event one gets demagnatized

Posted by
37 posts

Travelers Checks went out with 8 track stereos. Use your ATM. I found it was easier to find ATMs in Europe than in the US. Use the ones at legitimate banks.

Posted by
53 posts

Thanks to all for your words of wisdom. One of the main reason I thought of Euro Travelers checks is to may my hotel bill(s). I don't like to carry large amounts of cash and with the high cost of some hotels in Italy that could be the case.

I have checked with my hotels and they are happy to accept the TC's for payment of the hotel. I'll use ATM for all other needs.

Thanks again to all that helped! Love the Schwab tip!

Posted by
167 posts

I just opened up a Charles Schwab online bank account with the best fees I've found:

"Unlimited ATM Fee Rebates on Domestic and International ATMs"

Just don't use an ATM machine where it looks like the card reader has an extension added onto it.