Please sign in to post.

ATM card

We just left Venice and now in Florence. ATM is definitely everywhere, extremely convenient. However, all the machines we found has 250euro limit. Since we're also paying hotel with cash to avoid the foreign transaction fee, this amount is marginal. My BOA VISA and CITI Master all have $8-10 fee each withdrawal. My broker account cash card has no fee. So get the proper card tom save money before you go.

Posted by
1201 posts

Julie - sometimes, although not always, that 250 euro limit is per transaction. So you might want to try getting your card back and re-insert it for another withdrawal.

If doing the second transaction that quickly doesn't work, try at another machine later in the day.

Posted by
74 posts

Julie,
I know it's been discussed here before... but, the 250 euro is a 'per-transaction' limit. You can re-insert your card and get another 250 almost immediately.

Be careful, though, because your bank at home probably has a 'per-day' limit unless you've contacted them prior to your trip to have it temporarily extended.

On my first trip to Italy, I found out very quickly, that my bank had a $500 per-day cap on my ATM transactions (and with a 1.55+ exchange rate, that didn't amount to many euros!) I was able to call my bank and get my limit raised to $1000 per day (but i had to fax a letter to them in order to get it done).

Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

Posted by
111 posts

Thanks. I tried and 30 minute lap will do the trick for the second withdrawl. However, not third time. I've raised my limit at home to $5000 before leaving. Must be some other quirk. Although my husband is happy that no way I can go over 500euro per day.

Posted by
800 posts

Jenny - try the Schwab Bank card - it has no ATM fees and 0-1% foreign transaction fee.

And Julie is right - it does pay to get the right card if you can't withdraw enough at one time. If you do two separate transactions and your home bank charges you a foreign ATM fee, then you still have to pay that fee twice.

Posted by
125 posts

I too use the Schwab Bank Card, no ATM fees, and I was able to take out 600 euros at the ATM machine in Termini this past April, one transaction. Ended up being 1.344 dollars to the euro. BTW, this card even reimburses any ATM charged fees from other banks, at the end of the month.

Posted by
7737 posts

As recently as last year Capital One had a money market ATM card that charged no fee and no international transaction charge. You even earn interest. I assume it still exists.

Posted by
17 posts

I just opened the Capital One money market and it is true. They do not charge a conversion fee.

Posted by
167 posts

Five minutes ago I opened up a CapitalOne Money Market account online because of this statement on their website:

"International transactions/Outside the United States. We will not charge you any fees for ATM withdrawals or balance inquiries; but fees may be charged by the owner of the ATM."

Someone said that banks in Italy don't charge a fee on their end? I find that hard to believe!