Please sign in to post.

Train from Venice to Cinque Terre

My sister and I will be in Italy for 2 weeks (late Sept-Oct 2009). We fly into Rome and will take the overnight train to Venice for a 2-3 day visit the next night(back to Rome later). RS suggests going directly to CT from Venice and then doing Florence if going by train. Is there any way to do that overnight instead of using a whole day of our precious time?

Posted by
10344 posts

train site where you can get answers to most of your questionsMost people scheduling night trains try to do at least two things: pick a ride that's long enough so you can sleep (a problem with trips that are too short), and that doesn't involve train changes where you have to wake up and change trains in the middle of the night.

Posted by
6898 posts

There is no night train to the CT from Venice. No saving of daylight on this one. Its 6.0hrs with 2-3 train changes. You can take an afternoon train and arrive late in the evening in the CT. However, the place you are staying there will most likely need to be alerted for your late arrival. Note that some of the runs have train changes in Florence. CLICK HERE to see the morning train runs.

Posted by
8 posts

I will be flying into Venice Oct 2 2009 and after a 3 night stay would like to move onto Florence and CT. I am having trouble deciding which to visit first. The train times for Venice:Florence and then florence:CT seem shorter and more managalbe then doing the long trip from Venice to CT. Why do you think he recommends going first to CT from Venice?
After Florence and CT I would liek to visit Siena and SanGigmano. Any suggestions about order of visits?

Posted by
32 posts

I don't know why RS suggests CT from Venice but it is in a note under his 22 day Italy tour. It seems to me that stopping in Florence first would make more sense. I hate the thought of spending 6 hrs. of good daylight on a train!

Posted by
340 posts

Becky,
You don't say where you are going after Florence but here is another option to consider: Rome to CT, CT to Florence, Florence to Venice, Venice to ? (staying however many nights in each location). This route involves fewer very long train rides. If you need to get back to Rome for a return flight to the US have you checked local flights between your last stop and Rome? The flight from Venice to Rome is about an hour and the tickets are usually about the same cost as the train. Even if they are a little more the time savings may be worth it. Try to plan your travel for very early morning or later in the day so you take advantage of being in cities at the hours when there is the most to do. Also, if you have not yet booked your overseas flights, consider flying "open jaw": example - into Rome, home from Venice.

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks Lise for the info. We just booked "open-jaw" into Venice and out of Rome!!. After we do our 2-3 days in Venice should we go to Florence or CT?

Posted by
340 posts

Becky,

We are doing the same this summer - into Venice out of Rome - can't wait!

Definitely go to Florence first. How wonderful it will be as you are relaxing in CT, taking in the awesome views and slower pace; pondering the art, genius, beauty, and fun you experienced in Florence and Venice. A couple of days of hiking and sea air and you will be ready to take on Rome!

Posted by
400 posts

Becky, did the same on our trip and went from Venice to Florence. Then Florence to CT and CT to Rome. It worked out well.

Posted by
32 posts

Thanks for all the info. We are traveling mostly by train but thinking of renting a car for a few days in the hill towns. Also want to do Sorrento/Pompeii/Amalfi. Any advice or suggestions?

Posted by
125 posts

As for Sorrento and Amalfi, if you can spare a few days (2-3 is best ), it's a must. We made Sorrento home base, and did the Amalfi coast by bus ( Amalfi, Ravello, Positano ) with the 6 euro 24 hour pass, one day Capri, and Pompeii. Vist Pompeii while on the way back to Rome, we didn't do it that way, but would if we had to do it all over again.