Please sign in to post.

What time should I be at the airport?

I haven't traveled internationally in 5 years so can anyone tell me how many hours in advance I need to be at the airport for my flight to Rome? My flight leaves LAX at 8pm. Would 2 hours be sufficient or should I allow more time? Also, how far in advance should I be at the airport in Milan for my flight home? Thanks for your input.

Posted by
264 posts

I would give yourself another half hour security blanket at LAX. Tom Bradley terminal can be a mess at times. Knowing you have an 8 PM flight is there really a difference between when you leave the Inland Empire towards LAX?

Posted by
108 posts

We live 10 min. from LAX and fly from there several times a year. At the time of day you're traveling, I recommend being there 3 hours before your flight.

Posted by
6898 posts

It can vary at TB International. Also, it depends on which airline and if you are flying coach, business class or first class. I've seen it very light and very busy there. I would suggest that you need at least 2.0hours. It doesn't hurt to be even earlier than that. We've been fortunate to use our points to fly business class on either United or Lufthansa out of LAX. Very short lines for business class flyers.

Posted by
267 posts

Although I did not fly the routes you are taking, I can say that leaving Italy took me WAY more time than leaving the U.S. We had to go through a lot more security and customs than we did on our way to Italy, and we got to our gate with very little time to spare. So, yes, make sure you're at the airport a good 2 hours in advance, at least when leaving Italy.