Please sign in to post.

Opera?

I'm going to be visiting Rome-Florence-Venice from May 20th through May 29th, and would like the opportunity to visit the opera.

I have looked up the opera theater in Venice (La Fenice), but am wondering how I can purchase tickets before I arrive there? Has anyone had the opportunity to go to the opera in Rome, Florence, or Venice? If so, how did you purchase your tickets? I am very flexible with regards to the city as well as the performance - I'm just looking for the experience..

Thanks!

Posted by
41 posts

When we visited Venice we actually took a day trip out to Verona to see the opera there at the Arena di Verona http://www.arena.it/en-US/HOMEen.html. It's in a coliseum built in, I believe, the 2nd century. It was our first time at the opera. We saw Aida and it was fantastic. We booked our tickets on their website and picked up at the box office in Verona...we got the cheap seats just in case we hated it :) If you do decide to go there and get the cheap seats, get there early as there's no assigned seating in the economy section. You'll get better seats if you're at the front of the line.

Posted by
75 posts

I've been to the Malibran in Venice (La Fenice was not yet rebuilt after the fire) and saw Tristan and Isolde....I've been to many operas here in the states, but this was a "concert opera" which meant all the singers stood in front of the orchestra on the stage and sang their parts, no costumes, no sets. It was a long and disappointing four hours. So if you would like "the works" just make sure that's what you are going to get. As far as tickets go, I simply purchased them online and picked them up at the theatre an hour before the performance.

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately Mandi, we'll really only be spending 1/2 day (train from Florence) + 1 full day in Venice - so I'd rather devote the entire time to actually being in Venice. On the other hand, we'll have about 3 days in Rome and Florence, so I'd rather take time from those - if a day trip is required..

Lorraine - that must have been such a disappointment! I can't imagine how mad my family would be if I dragged to something that wasn't even the stereotypical opera performance...

Has anyone been to an opera in these 3 cities? I'm a little worried about how to choose seats sight unseen, and without the help of a ticket agent at the show...

Posted by
2026 posts

Lorraine, I feel your pain. I was one of about only half a dozen people still awake at the end of that opera years ago..and it at least had costumes and sets et al. I planned to have a T shirt made: I survived Tristan und Isolde.