Please sign in to post.

Rome to Venice

Good evening! I will be arriving at the Rome airport on May 05 and will need to immediately get to the train station in order to travel on to Venice. Will I be looking for a Metro bus to get from the Rome airport to the Rome train station?

Posted by
5531 posts

If you are flying into FCO, you can take the express train to the Rome Central Station.

Posted by
23284 posts

It is the Leonard Express -- a couple an hour, takes about 30 minutes -- and last year (probably increased this year) it was 11 Euro. Dumps you in Termini. Buy your ticket to Venice at the airport train station so all you will have to do is change tracks. However, BE SURE TO VALIDATE YOUR TICKET !!!!

Posted by
2207 posts

Ciao Lisa from a former ATL resident now in Rome!

Both posts above give good advice (Frank it's still 11 euro)... there are many options from FCO including taxi, train, private shuttle and even bus....

For more info on arriving at FCO and transportation options, CLICK HERE

For more info on how to find the FCO Airport Train Station, CLICK HERE

On arriving at Termini by train, CLICK HERE

On riding trains in Italy, CLICK HERE

Hope that helps!

Posted by
51 posts

I looked on-line for a budget airline from Rome to Venice. I see that an airline called MyAir makes trips from Venice to Rome, but unless I mis-read the information, I don't believe it makes trip from Rome to Venice. My thought process was that it might be faster (most likely) and perhaps less expensive to take a short flight from Rome to Venice as opposed to the trains. Can anyone advise me?

Posted by
6898 posts

MyAir does not fly from Venice-Marco Polo to Rome or vis-a-versa. One airline that does is Air One which is now merged with Alitalia. I see promo fares of 94Euro each way from Rome-FCO to Venice-Marco Polo. It's a 90 minute trip according to the website.

Other than that, it's about 45-60 minutes from getting your luggage to Rome Termini by the Leonardo Express (Leonardo takes 30 minutes) and the 4.5hrs by high-speed train from Rome to Venice. Your trip is similar to having to get from Atlanta to Jacksonville, FL only in Italy, the trains are faster with fewer stops.

Posted by
51 posts

You're recommendation then is the train, is that right?

Posted by
6898 posts

My suggestion is that you have two choices. The plane as low as 94Euro or the train at 86.10Euro (I did the lookups and math). It's your choice. You could consider flying to Venice and taking the train back.