Please sign in to post.

Trains and luggage

What happens to your luggage on the trains? There are 2 of us and we will each have a medium suitcase with wheels. I don't believe it gets checked, right? Like on an airplane, where your luggage is put in a separate place? Will we be able to take it to our seats? I think I read somewhere that there is an area at the front of back of each train car, where you can leave your suit cases? If this is the case, should we buy small locks for our luggage when on the train? Also, does anyone check what's in your luggage - like the TSA would here in the States? Thanks for any advice...

Posted by
1589 posts

387 entries up under the search feature that discuss this very issue. Just sayin'.....have a great trip!

Posted by
74 posts

Martha, of course, it depends on what kind of train you're on. The regional trains are a little more difficult to negotiate with larger bags, as the only storage is above your seat. With that said, though, my brother-in-law is the king of overpacking - and he was still able to fit his GIANT suitcase above the seat -- it's just a matter of having the strength to get it up there.

Now, on the faster trains, like the Eurostar AV, there are several options:

1. at the end of each car there's a baggage storage rack. On my first trip, i brought a lock, and found it to just be extra hassle. On every trip since then, i've just put my bag on the rack, and have never had a problem.

2. between the seats. most seats on this train are arranged in a 4-to-a-table fashion, so there is room behind the seats.

3. overhead. Same as the regionals -- if you've got the muscle, you can fit a pretty big bag up there.

Finally, much like Amtrak here in the states, there is no security check at the train station. [edit: i am speaking specifically about travel within italy. i cannot speak of other countries, or international train travel].

Hope this helps!

Posted by
23296 posts

The comment about no security checks is not universally true. It would help if you indicated where you are traveling. The Eurostar between London and the rest of Europe has a airline type of security check and, I believe, a thirty prior to boarding requirement. Spanish trains, especially the high speed, x-ray check of luggage but nothing said about knives, liquids, etc. No xray on local trains. Spanish rail is also limiting access on the platform areas to ticketed passengers. No recent experience with French or German rail.

You are completely responsible for handling your luggage on trains. There are overhead storage racks that handle small bags better than large bags. And some overhead racks are bigger than others. Most cars are set up with four seats facing each other and, obviously, four seats back to back. There is a little stand up space between the two back to back seats where a bag can be slid in. There is almost always luggage bins near the entrance to the cars.

There are reports that luggage in the storage bin may be subject to grab and run with the car is stopped at a station and sometimes from the overhead racks. We have never had a problem and do not know of anyone else who has had such a problem. BUT, we always use light weight cable locks to secure our luggage to each other or something solid including the overhead rack. And it is very good precaution to have all of your zippers on your bags locked at all times. We use the small combo locks.

Posted by
42 posts

Thanks, Frank for the insight. We will be taking a train from the airport in Milan, to the Milan main train station, then on to Florence. Our other big train ride is from Venice to Milan. I hadn't even thought of locking my luggage to something like the luggage rack with a cable lock. It had only occurred to me to have small locks on all the zippers. Great idea! Thanks!

Martha

Posted by
23296 posts

We were in Italy last summer and encountered no security checks on their trains. The Spanish have gotten a little tighter since the Atoch station in Madrid was bomb a couple of years ago. All the route you mentioned will have luggage storage near the entrances to the train cars.

You only have a bus (about an hour) to the Central train station in Milan. The train from the airport goes to the train station on the west side and you would need to take the subway to the Centralstation. Much simpler to ride the shuttle bus.

Posted by
27 posts

Some advice if you are travelling Eurostar and have your seats booked - make your way to where your carriage will potentially be BEFORE your train arrives (usually on the platforms there are signs indicating average positions of the carriage numbers). This means that you are first on after the exodus of passengers and it is usually much easier to find spaces in between the seats for your stuff (I can NEVER lift my bags onto those overhead racks!).

If you are catching the train at its starting point (like Venice Santa Lucia to Rome, for example) then be sure to arrive early enough to board and park your luggage with no pressure - the trains are usually sitting and waiting in the station for a good 30-45 mins before departure time and this saves you a lot of last minute hassle as everyone rushes to board and find room for their stuff.

Posted by
2207 posts

Martha,

We travel throughout Italy, often with luggage and have had no problems on the trains. This link might help give you some more info on riding trains in Italy - CLICK HERE