Please sign in to post.

Dressing for dinner...

Do the Italians "dress" for dinner. I'd like to fit in and feel comfortable while over there. In Florence, I think we'll be dining in Oltrarno (near our B&B). No plans yet for Venice or Rome as far as where.

Dressy or casual? (I do not mean "shorts" casual.) THANKS!

Posted by
204 posts

A nice pair of slacks and top maybe a sweater if you are eating outdoors, nice scarf. Casual wear- In Rome it was hot so I wore calf capri's and a top.
Shelley

Posted by
1883 posts

I"ve started to pack a skirt with me. Black in color. I take one nicer t-shirt and add a scarf for when we go to dinner.

After several trips to Italy, I just feel better when I get a bit more "dressed up" for dinner.

Keep in mind, I take just the one skirt, and wear it every night to dinner if we go to a nice place, not a cafe for panini or pizza. I've even taken to wearing it during the day, it's cooler than short/capri pants. Looks so much nicer in the larger cities.

Italians have gotten more casual, I see guys in jeans now, but still they dress up a bit for dinner.

Posted by
7737 posts

A lot of Italian men will throw on a sportcoat over whatever they're wearing to dress it up. Neckties are a little uncommon. And as my Italian instructor from Pisa told me, you'll never see an Italian man wearing a tie without a jacket. That's an American thing.

Posted by
1829 posts

The Italian version of casual, apart from beachwear, would be our smart casual. In more up market dining places we see ladies dressing up their outfits with nice pieces of jewellery, beautiful shoes and handbags.

In trattoria type places families wearing everyday clothes seem the norm.

Posted by
345 posts

Ditto what Michael said. Italian men don't wear jackets with the bunchy elastic waists at their belt line that Americans wear. Even when they're really casual they wear a sport coat. Believe me, after you walk around for a while it dawns on you how truly awful those bunchy elastic-waisted jackets look. Don't let your partner bring one.