Please sign in to post.

Travel from Naples to Sorrento

Is it better to take a train, bus or ferry? How do I get travel information on each?

Posted by
37 posts

Hi John,
Last fall we took a hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples and we had no problems whatsoever. It took about 30-40mins one way. We just bought our ticket right from the ticket booth at the dock, and I can't recall the exact amount but it was <15 euro each. Some transportation modes in Italy do charge extra for luggage, but we only had a small backpack with us so I unfortunately can't help you with this.
If I recall correctly, the approx.cost was posted in RS guidebook, under the Sorrento section.
Happy travels.

Posted by
527 posts

Rick's book has good info on that listing all the train stations on the way so that you know you've got it right. I like the hydrofoil but I never did it with luggage. You'd have to take the bus up from Sorrento's harbour as it's a climb

Posted by
7737 posts

The ferry/hydrofoil is a beautiful trip across the Bay of Naples. The trick is that the ferry landing is nowhere near the main train station. If you're in the train station it's easier to take the Circumvesuviana train (be sure to get on the right track) but it's not a particularly pretty ride. On the plus side, the CV puts you right into the main part of Sorrento and you don't have to climb the hill from the water.

Posted by
17 posts

We just traveled between Sorrento and Naples this morning. We have done all travel by train and the Circumvesviana train station to go to Sorrento is in the Naples train station. The train to Sorrento is basically a local train or seemed more like a subway. It costs a couple of euros and in my opinion, it the way to go.

Posted by
34 posts

I would also recommend the train from Naples to Sorrento. As others have said, the train station in Sorrento is right in the heart of the city. It also has a stop at Pompeii if you wanted to take a break and tour that. I will pass on some advice the security guard at the entrance of the train station in Naples gave us.. "Watch your pockets". We actually did not have any problems on the train or the train station. As with any train station, its always good to be a little more aware of your surroundings.

Posted by
2026 posts

While the Circum' indeed is no beauty (route and train) it is so simple and convenient and cheap from the Naples station that I would hop it in a heartbeat. And, it drops you right in the middle of Sorrento, not a mega-shlep uphill from dock to town. Italy has hilltowns but these places are clifftowns. Once in Sorrento you can then take a beautiful boat ride to Capri, Positano, or Amalfi.

Posted by
63 posts

If you're going to be in the Bay of Naples area for a few days then consider getting the Campania Arte Card (see Rick's guidebook). It includes unlimited travel on the Circumvesuviana for 3 consecutive days as well as free admissions to the first two sights.

Posted by
1829 posts

The word is that, at long last, there will be new trains (with a/c!)on the Circumvesuviana over the next couple of years. However, who knows whether the economic downturn will affect the replacement programme.

Posted by
22 posts

If you go in the off-season, you can hire a car pretty reasonably. We did that to get from Naples to Positano and back, and were very happy. It's good to have an Italian driver on YOUR side. Of course, there's also the SITA bus that I believe goes from Naples to Sorrento. I know it goes from Sorrento through Positano, Praiano and Amalfi. That's definitely an interesting ride, especially at night. Bring your rosary beads or an extra pair of underwear! :-)