Please sign in to post.

Tour Guides in Rome

Francesco Caruso recommended the following guides. Has anyone used these and your comments. Thanks

Federica D'Orazio, Sonia Tavoletta,
Luca Caparucci, Alessandra Mazzoccoli and Richard Bowen.

Posted by
158 posts

Bummer you can't get Fracesca herself, we had her as guide in Rome. I can't comment on the other guides but if she recommended them then I am sure they are wonderful.

Posted by
15125 posts

Ron in Rome is a tour guide and contributes to this board. He's an ex-pat American who's been living in Rome for a number of years. I'd give him a try.

Ron in Rome

Posted by
109 posts

Richard Bowen is one of the docents at Context Rome.

Posted by
29 posts

My wife and I used Ron Phillips -- Ron in Roma -- in February and not only was he an excellent guide but also assisted us in obtaining our Roma Passes, oriented us to using public transportation and showed us -- the day after he guided us -- how to purchase train tickets at the train station using the vending machines.

I highly recommend him as he adapts the tour to your interests; nothing canned.

Posted by
881 posts

Ron in Rome was really quick to get back to us, though he's very booked! Kiron was also recommended to us, by travelers here; [email protected], and she's been really helpful, and responsive. Unless something comes up, we'll be using her. :)

Posted by
1 posts

My family and I have just returned from Rome and found Ron to be one of the most friendly, and knowledgeable guides we have come across. Not only did he show us the sites, but he also showed us how to navigate our way thru the subway and transportation systems. Ron was very kind and passionate about helping out some "newbies" to Rome. Using Ron as our guide was truly the experience we were looking for. Grazie mille di cuore to Ron!

Posted by
3 posts

Ron in Rome is D best- My family and I highly recommend him...We are lucky to have been assisted by Ron when we had our first trip to Rome in Nov. 2008...Had it not for him, we probably have not enjoyed as much.

Thanks Ron!!

Posted by
7 posts

Just returned from a week in Rome and we used a wonderful licensed guide named Anna Maria Gehle ([email protected]). We toured Ostia Antica, Colosseum/Forum area and Borghese Gallery. She tailored her tours to our interests (and was very good at keeping two teenagers interested) and also helped us get oriented in Rome. I looked at several different guides and her prices were very reasonable. I wish I had used her for all of our tours in Rome!

Posted by
106 posts

My husband and I will be spending our first afternoon in Rome with Ron and he has been so responsive and helpful in assisting us to plan our three days there. We have heard such terrific things about his tours and cannot wait to see Ancient Rome with him! :)
Terry and Jeff

Posted by
1 posts

My private walking tour of Rome with Sonia Tavoletta was the highlight of the entire trip. Sonia is extremely well-versed in art history, architecture, history, and all things Roman. Besides being a great tour guide, she is an all-round good person. I highly recommend her.

Posted by
5 posts

Have you tried one of the local expat companies, some of them are excellent. Rick writes about them each year.

Posted by
37 posts

LOVED Ron in Rome!! He made our stay in Rome. Don't know about the others, but he was wonderful!