Please sign in to post.

3 Week Itinerary

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to Italy for July 2011. I've been to Italy once before, so I've already been to Rome, Florence, Siena, the CT, Naples, Pompeii, and Venice. I'll be traveling on my own, staying in hostels or B&Bs, and only using public transportation. I love museums, art, food, and I want to do some hiking in the Dolomites too. I want this to be a vacation, so I'm ok with slower days and spending several nights in one place. Here is my tentative plan:

Day 1 – Arrive Milan, Train to Varenna

Days 2, 3 – Varenna

Day 4 – Train to Verona

Day 5 – Train/bus to Val Gardena in the Dolomites

Days 6, 7 – Val Gardena

Day 8 – Train to Ravenna

Day 9 – Ravenna

Day 10 – Train to Florence

Days 11-16 – Florence – daytrips to Assisi, Pisa, other Tuscan towns.

Day 17 – Train to Cinque Terre

Day 18-20 – Cinque Terre

Day 21 – Train to Milan

Day 22 – Fly home

I love Florence, but I think I might split up days 11-16, spending a few in Florence, and then a few in a smaller Tuscan town. I really hate travel days with my bag, but I don't mind daytrips from one main base, hence several days in Florence.

So, a few questions:

1. Overall impressions/thoughts?

2. Verona - is an afternoon/evening enough, or should I give it another day?

3. Ravenna - general impressions? Would another day in the Dolomites be better?

4. Ideas on a Tuscan town to stay in for a few days? I would like one with decent bus/train connections so that I can see other places too.

5. Anything else you think I should know! :)

Thanks so much in advance - this is definitely the most helpful, friendly forum around.

--Cait

Posted by
1003 posts

I can only really help on #4 but Siena is probably the best Tuscan down in terms of transportation connections. I would personally say do not miss Volterra if you can find a way to get there. I just loved it. Lucca is also very nice. Personally I thought Pisa was a waste but we just stopped there for about 2 hours coming from CT and renting a car, so it didn't affect my vacation but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it (you could combine it with Lucca, though, and make it quite a worthwhile day).

I was probably the only member of this board who left Cinque Terre completely unimpressed, disappointed, and underwhelmed, but if you want to go back after having already been there, I certainly wouldn't discourage you. However, since it seems you're going approximately between Milan and Florence in terms of North-South travel, I would suggest that Emilia-Romagna is quite a fantastic region and much less out of the way than CT. I found Bologna wonderful and Parma absolutely enchanting and it has all of the things you are looking for (Especially the FOOD!!). Just throwing it out there, but I wouldn't try to add it to what you have, I would only use it to replace something.

otherwise i think it's clear you know your own traveling style and what you would enjoy, and that you've thought it out well, so ultimately trust your instincts.

Posted by
104 posts

Thanks for your reply, Debra! I liked Siena when I was there for a daytrip last time, so maybe exploring it over a few days is a good idea. Can I get to Volterra from there?

I love the CT, so I'm itching to go back, but I'll save your suggestions re: Parma for my next trip :)

Posted by
1976 posts

Hi Cait. I spent half a day in Verona and had enough time to have lunch and see the arena, "Juliet's" balcony, and some of the cool medieval architecture.

I loved Ravenna and it's definitely worth staying overnight. I took a day trip there and saw only 2 churches (San Vitale and Sant'Apollinare Nuovo), so Ravenna is high on my list the next time I return to Italy.

Posted by
1994 posts

Cait, if you can do it, I'd suggest at least an overnight in Assisi rather than a day trip; I allowed 3 days on my first trip and would have like another day. It's easiest to enjoy in the early morning and evening, without the crowds. And if you enjoy early Renaissance art, the upper and lower churches of the basilica of St Francis can easily take a day. A very pleasant walk from Assisi is up to the Eremo della Carcieri (sp?), a hermitage St Francis frequented about 4-5 km above town (with paths leading into the oak forest and the caves of early hermits) - a beautiful very quiet site with a lovely monastery.

Posted by
104 posts

Thanks Sarah and Sherry for your replies. I will keep your advice in mind as I finalize the Tuscany part of my trip. Sherry - Assissi sounds lovely! Thanks :)

Posted by
70 posts

Hi Cait, I'm also planning a trip to Italy in May/June 2011, mostly using public transportation (trains), though we decided to rent a car to tour Tuscany, opting to stay in an Agriturismo near Siena. I agree that Assisi would be hard to do as a day trip from Florence. The bus takes over two hours and the train isn't much better. I was in Pisa last year and thought it was defitely worth seeing. A couple of hours is all you need--and it's easy to get there by train. If you love art, don't forget, The Last Supper is in Milan. Make sure you make a reservation to see it on your last day!

Posted by
15591 posts

Hi Cait, Verona - I love it and believe it is worth 2 days. Google "Verona Card" which lists the sights. Summer is opera season, so it is usually pretty popular then. If you like opera, you could try to get a ticket. I understand it is special, in the huge Arena. Ravenna - The Byzantine mosaics are Wows, one after the other. It needs two days to see them all. Ravenna is a lovely little town. Rent a bike to enjoy it to the utmost. I think one or two of the hotels even lend bikes to their guests. (I was there in the winter, in the rain, so biking was out for me.) Pisa - I spent a half-day there on my way from Florence to CT, leaving my bags at the train station. I thought that was enough - not really worth a day trip. The benefit to staying overnight in the Tuscan towns (and any others in Italy) is the evening atmosphere, which is different in each place (and not so great in Florence, IMHO). Maybe you could use Florence as a base, leave most of your things, just travel with an overnight pack - say, 1 night in Siena, then 1 night in San Giminiano, then back to Florence. Sounds like a great trip.