Please sign in to post.

spending money

how much euro should we bring to italy for a 2 week stay? One week in positano and one week in florence. Our villas are paid for already.

Posted by
3313 posts

You do know you should get your Euro there, right?

Your question is unanswerable, though, without knowing more about your expectations for dining, sightseeing and shopping.

When you say you will be staying in "villas" (Can't imagine a rural estate in Florence) your choice of terms leads me to anticipate you have more expensive tastes than someone staying in a simple pensione or even a hotel.

Posted by
32212 posts

Sue,

The method I'd suggest would be to take perhaps €50-100 for expenses while travelling, and then just use ATM's to obtain whatever cash you need in Italy.

As Doug mentioned, your question is difficult to answer as none of us here have any idea on your spending patterns, etc.

Note that in order to access cash via ATM's, your funds must be in a chequing account with a four-number PIN.

Happy travels!

Posted by
267 posts

I agree with Ken; just have some Euro for tipping, meals, taxis, etc. Unless you plan on spending more than your daily allowed ATM withdrawl, that is, use your ATM card for getting cash as you need it along the way. I did it that way because I was afraid if I got pickpocketed, I'd lose a LOT of money. An ATM card can be canceled and a new one gotten; lost cash is lost cash. Just to be safe, be sure to keep your cash tucked away somewhere safe; a front pocket for a wallet is NOT a good place for it to be. Use a money belt, or a PacSafe-type purse worn across the body, etc. I have two patients who were pickpocketed in Italy: one just after leaving an ATM (he'd put his wallet in his back pocket) and the other on a bus (his wallet was in his front pocket). A third patient and her husband were wearing backpacks; on a bus ride, a hand came from behind the wife, who was standing behind her husband, and the hand was unzipping the husband's backpack, right in front of the wife! That attempt was thwarted; but do be careful with your cash and credit cards.