Please sign in to post.

train schedule

I'm planning a trip to Italy in the fall and part of it is taking the train from Rome to somewhere in Tuscany. I've been to various train sites to get schedules but find it time consuming to put in a single destination and wait for the reply. What I'd like is a comprehensive train schedule so I could pick my destination. For instance, I know I want to stay somewhere south of Siena. But its hard to figure out what train stops are available. It there a schedule that lists, for instance, the train that goes from Rome to Siena and lists all the stops in between?

Posted by
1158 posts

Dennis,

I don't get it. Time consuming to wait a few seconds?
You go on the official train in Italy www.trenitalia.com and type your departure and arrival cities.
Do you know where your hotel is going to be? If you know the city, then you type in the arrival field on the web site I mentioned.

Posted by
74 posts

Dennis, the Trenitalia website lists all the stops of a particular train if you select a train then click the "details by selection" button.

The "english" link is in the upper right-hand corner.

Just input your to and from, and a date (dont think the schedule has posted just yet for the fall, so just pick a day next week or something like that)...

good luck!

Posted by
10344 posts

Either the Trenitalia website or this one http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en will provide the information you're looking for. Those are the only two. Of the two, the Bahn site is a bit more user friendly but even there you have to click around and explore to unlock the large amount of info provided by the site.

Posted by
6898 posts

Dennis, I can easily look up the Rome to Siena train schedule on www.trenitalia.com in 45 seconds. Your complaint about waiting for replies is unfounded. It does take some time to keep searching for the different cities and towns. Thomas Cook publishes a comprehensive train schedule guide but it's large and thick. You wouldn't want to travel with it.

First, you won't see all the runs if you put in a fall date. Trenitalia will update their schedules in mid-June. Use a date close in (within 30 days). The train runs will, for the most part, be the same after Trenitalia makes their updates in mid-June. Second, to see details on a Trenitalia train run, select a run in the far right column and press the "Details by Selection" button and see the trains on the run. Select the "Info" button and you will see every stop that train makes on the run. You can't blame a very informative website for your unfamiliarity with their train systems.

Also, what you may find in the smaller towns south of Siena is that they may not have a train station. There is also bus service from Siena to Rome. www.sena.it. There are also a few private bus systems that run throughout Italy. This applies in both Tuscany and Umbria. You can go to the following website for a list of just the bus systems in Tuscany. http://www.trainspa.it/en/novita/muoversi.html