Please sign in to post.

Will this plan work for Athens/Rome?

Any thoughts on this plan are appreciated.
Arrive Athens May 12 5:35 pm - crash at hotel May 13 and 14th sites in Athens May 15 Drive ourselves Corinth Bridge, Mycenae, Nafplio, working our way to Epidaurus. This portion may overflow into May 16th.. we just have to Depart Athens 4:15 p.m. Arrive Santorini 5:00pm Depart Santorini May 19th 7 a.m., arrive Rome 10 am. Get checked in hotel and wander Rome that evening May 20 - Vatican 9:00a.m (is booked) May 21- look around Rome May 22- would LOVE to take trains to Pompeii/Mt. Ves (know it will be a FULL day) May 23 Rome (maybe Borghese Gardens- waiting to firm up if we're doing Pompeii before reserving time) Depart Rome 8:15 am Thank you in advance for any suggestions you may have on this plan. We posted here last year on a different trip and received genuine, knowledgeable and helpful comments. (We are a family of 4- 2 kids ages 11/12 who LOVE historical and have studied Greece/Rome this year.)

Posted by
83 posts

How did you get a reservation at the Vatican on May 21? It's Ascention Thurs., the Vatican is closed....I would double check that reservation!

Posted by
29 posts

I have seen all the things you mentioned in Greece and I think you will love it if you and your kids are interested in historical sites like you mentioned. My advice is don't go to Pompeii, that is not because I don't love Pompeii beacuse I do love it. But it seems like you will really be rushing it to do that and see Rome well. There is plenty to do in Rome, you will not be bored. Pompeii is a great, great, great day but it is a very long and tiring day as well. I would def. go if you feel like you will still have time to see Rome properly but if not I would save Pompeii for next trip.

Posted by
23 posts

I sorry. I was trying to be as brief as possible, evidently took too many shortcuts.
It should read. ...wander around Rome that evening. May 20- Vatican 9:00 a.m. (is booked)
Thank you for watching out for us!!