Please sign in to post.

VAT Refund

Does anyone know if you can get a refund on your lodging VAT?

We have been confirmed at a hotel for 1507 Euros and he says that includes 10% VAT and service charge.

Posted by
7569 posts

Yeah, really the VAT refund is worth the effort only if you buy a significant item to take home and involves maybe a $1000 US or more. The exception would be stores that will take care of it for you, but then I have to wonder if a "refund" is just calculated into the sale price. I have only utilized a VAT refund once in a half dozen trips.

Posted by
525 posts

My first experience with VAT refund was buying items in Ireland. You "NEED" a slip for each individual purchase from each store you buy something. Keep them in an envelope. Also keep your purchases in a separate bag so at the airport you can show them when you go to collect your VAT refund. I got about $25.00 back and did NOT purchase close to $1,000 of merchandise. I, unfortunately, forgot to ask for these VAT forms in England last year. I'm sure I would have received a considerable amount of money back. I think it is worth the trouble. At the airport there are signs directing you to the VAT refund offices. Go a little early to the airport to take care of this. You can also do it by mail from the USA but I chose to take care of it BEFORE I left the country.

Posted by
23296 posts

Nope !!! You consumed the product in Europe. Only get a refund on the goods/materials that you take out of the country. AND, I have never been very successful in getting that refund either.

Posted by
7569 posts

To your point Miss B; worth is a matter of personal preference. Keeping meticulous account of receipts, special packing considerations, then planning extra time at the airport...all for $25. I would just assume make a donation to the EU economy.

Posted by
1003 posts

Maybe it was because I only made one VAT-refundable purchase, but I found getting my refund to be no big deal at all. I bought some jewelry in Florence. The shopkeeper filled out all the forms for me and just told me what to do. That night while fresh in my mind, I finished filling in the form (like with my passport # etc) and I put it with my jewelry (which I'd never check in luggage anyway). I found the refund desk in Rome at the airport with no problem and a very short wait in line later and I had almost $50. Is $50 a lot in the scheme of a 6-week trip that cost nearly $10,000? Of course not, but considering how easy it was to do, I figure the money is better with me than someone else! ;)Maybe I just got lucky...

Posted by
7569 posts

Debra, I think your experience was typical, and the one time I used the refund was similar. But technically, just about anything you bring home is eligible for a refund, so there could have been more, the store just made it easy on that item. Maybe my $1000 dollar comment was high, but it really should only be considered for major items, and then, better if you have several. I still am leary of shops that cater to tourists and tout the VAT refund though. I wonder how many places mark up the items just to tout the discount...hey, I can be cynical I guess. To add to Karens question, if your trip is "Business", then yes, VAT is refundable on lodging.

Posted by
495 posts

I wonder how many places mark up the items just to tout the discount

Not sure how much sense that makes, VAT is a tax (it's what the 'T' stands for.) The shop doesn't keep any 'discount' they just don't pass on the percentage to the govt. In the case where you claim the refund later the seller isn't involved as the refund comes from the government (via Global Refund.)

Posted by
1167 posts

An important consideration is that you have to apply for the VAT refund at your departure point from the EU. So, for example, if make purchases in Rome and your return flight departs for Paris you apply at the airport in Paris. And you have to have all items plus the receips with you when you apply.