Please sign in to post.

ATM's

I was reading a trip report from a traveler's recent trip to Italy and an item in it raised a question for me. She mentioned the term "bancomat" as being what we Americans refer to as an "ATM" so is this, in fact, what I will be looking for in Italy - a "bancomat". She also mentioned that prior to her department from the US that she had her ATM PIN code changed to match the one used in Italy. My current PIN in the US is four digits and I understand that a four digit PIN is what is used in Italy. Will my current four digit PIN work while I am there?

Posted by
1003 posts

Yes that's true, it says "bancomat" above ATMs in Italy, but if you are outside a bank or something, it will look the same as an ATM does here so you will have no trouble finding them in the cities. My 4-digit PIN worked fine, I think it's the longer PINs that can be a problem. And make sure your money is in your checking account, if you also have your card linked to a savings account. I rarely use ATMs in the US so I was apprehensive about using them in Italy/Europe, but I had no problems. Let your bank know you'll be in Italy and when, and you'll be fine :D

Posted by
12172 posts

Yes, they call them bancomats but you will probably never have to ask for one because they are everywhere. (Aside joke: If you have your money in Bank of America you can take it with you, because they're all over hell! :))

You shouldn't have any problem with your four digit number. I've never had a problem. I've heard some people have six digit pins or pins that start with zero and have problems. A four digit pin that doesn't start with zero should work fine.

Posted by
51 posts

Henry, thank you for the link showing a picture of a bancomat. Since I am a visual person, the pic is most helpful!

Posted by
831 posts

Brad,
My four digit PIN starts with zero and has worked in over 100 bancomats.

Posted by
23282 posts

Yes, we know Harry that you zero works. Every times that is mentioned someone immediately posts that their pin starts with zero and it works. Of courses it does. The pins starting with zero was a problem about 15 years ago or so but has been corrected for a long time. Any number, including zero will work.

Posted by
12172 posts

Thanks,

Since my pin has never started with zero and has always been four digits, I've never had a problem. It's only something I've heard about from other people.

Is a six-digit pin still a problem, or do any banks still have six-digit pins?

Posted by
831 posts

Brad,
While my PIN is four digits I have noticed six spaces on some bancomats.

Frank,
I assume the 'we' didn't include Brad. You may be surprised that everyone who posts here doesn't go through all the old posts.

Posted by
365 posts

Henry, he was using the royal "we."

I mean, Harry.