Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help/Suggestions

Hello!

We are leaving in exactly one week for the Boot and we are very excited! Below please find our itinerary.

Arrive at 7:05 am in Milan
Take a train to Florence immediately.
Bargello - has to be done on this day because it is closed on this Sunday
Duomo Museum - if possible
4 pm reservations Accademia

Sunday, March 29
10:45 Uffizi Reservation
Duomo
Take train to Mantova

Stay in Mantova Sun. 3/29-4/9

Thursday, April 2 Reserved Lord's Supper in Milan - Hopefully my husband can go with me, reserved for 6:15 pm

Friday, April 10
After my husband is off work take train to Rome

Saturday, April 11
Vatican Tour 9 am - already reserved
Borghese Gallery - reserved for 5-7 pm

Sunday, Colosseum - 9 am reserved

When I am in Mantova I will travel alone or maybe some nights when he gets off work we may go into the areas and sightsee and have dinner. Suggestions?

Anyone ever stayed at Hotel Eden in Mantova? What did you think?

Thanks!
Karen

Posted by
15 posts

We are flying into Malpensa and landing at 7:05 am. We had originally planned on touring Milan on the first day but then realized with the time change from the states we are losing a day! Therefore, we will land and then take a bus to Centrale Milano and take a train then to Florence. I called and asked the hotel in Florence if this was best and he said "yes". (Dei Mori) Is this true? (I even tried to change flights but AA doesn't fly into Florence.)

I am not sure what we are going to do after the Colosseum on Sunday but I really want to do as many fountains and walking tours as possible and really soak in the Roman culture.

In Mantova, I am not sure...I considered doing some touring on my own but Mantova is homebase so I will need to come back at night. Do you have suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help and compliment! This has been a real challenge for me as I have never been out of the US before.

Posted by
15 posts

We are flying into Malpensa and landing at 7:05 am. We had originally planned on touring Milan on the first day but then realized with the time change from the states we are losing a day! Therefore, we will land and then take a bus to Centrale Milano and take a train then to Florence. I called and asked the hotel in Florence if this was best and he said "yes". (Dei Mori) Is this true? (I even tried to change flights but AA doesn't fly into Florence.)

I am not sure what we are going to do after the Colosseum on Sunday but I really want to do as many fountains and walking tours as possible and really soak in the Roman culture.

In Mantova, I am not sure...I considered doing some touring on my own but Mantova is homebase so I will need to come back at night. Do you have suggestions?

Thanks so much for your help and compliment! This has been a real challenge for me as I have never been out of the US before.

Posted by
10344 posts

we will land and then take a bus to Centrale Milano and take a train then to Florence. I called and asked the hotel in Florence if this was best and he said "yes". (Dei Mori) Is this true? That works. Rick Steves gives details in his book, Italy 2009. I am not sure what we are going to do after the Colosseum on Sunday but I really want to do as many fountains and walking tours as possible and really soak in the Roman culture.How many total days are you giving yourself in Rome, when do you depart Italy, and from where?In Mantova, I am not sure...I considered doing some touring on my own but Mantova is homebase so I will need to come back at night. Do you have suggestions?Was Mantova selected as a home base because it is where your husband is working? (in other words, did you have a choice, or not really?)

Posted by
1201 posts

Kent - you're getting so fancy! Wow.

Karen - Mantova itself looks interesting. Plus you are only about 45 minutes from Verona on the train. From Verona you could go a bit west to Desenzano del Garda on Lake Garda or east to Vicenza. Parma, Modena and Bologna are also easily reached by train.

don't be afraid to venture out on your own. Try Verona for a first trip. Only 45 minutes from Mantova. Lots to see and do and not far from the train station. I believe that Rick has a mini walking guide in the Italy book.

Bologna would also make a good daytrip, although you'll have to change trains in Modena.

As I have mentioned before, if your husband is working with locals make sure he lets them know you'd like some touring suggestions.

Have a great trip.